Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 25, 2024

Sunday, August 25, 2024

Sunday, August 25, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. It was Mattie's first week in the hospital and thankfully we met this special woman, Anna, early on in Mattie's treatment. Anna was Mattie's physical therapist. Though Mattie was NOT wheelchair bound at the time, Anna introduced Mattie to wheelchair right from the beginning because she was trying to get him used to what was to come after his limb salvaging surgeries. Anna had Mattie focus on developing his upper body strength and as you can see, Mattie was hitting beach balls in the hospital hallway. I can't tell you how grateful I was for those hallways! They symbolized  freedom from the 2x4 hospital room!


Quote of the day: Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart. ~ Washington Irving


I am so exhausted from my dad's surgery on Wednesday, that I canceled his physical therapy session on Saturday. I knew I had to sleep in Saturday and Sunday in order to regroup. Sleeping in for me means sleeping to 8am. Typically because I am SO exhausted, I wake up, and though I may recall I have dreamt of something, I normally do not remember anything about my dreams. Last night was very different. This morning, I woke up and vividly could recall what I experienced. It seemed so real, so important, that it has been in the back of my mind all day. As if Peter is trying to tell me something. 

Since Peter left, I haven't dreamt about him at all, or at least I can't remember dreaming of him. Again, I think it is because I am so exhausted and have to wake up so early. But in my dream last night were several key features..... a fox, a long snake, a beach, a room, and Peter. Now because it was a dream, things were not linear. However, we were at a beach house. I was upset with him over what is going on now. At one point we are walking on a beach together discussing issues and then at another point, we were in a small room. While on the beach, I saw a very long and thick snake slithering toward us. Anyone who knows me, knows I HATE snakes. Snakes of all kinds. As soon as the snake passed by, then a fox came trotting by. In the dream, I just watched these things happen. I was scared, but absorbed them happening around us. 

I have no idea what the fox (perhaps an omen or spiritual guide), snake (letting go of the past), or beach (tranquility) mean. But what I distinctly recall is in the dream Peter was telling me that NOT everything is as it seems. Those were his exact words. The more I kept asking for clarity, the less I got. Yet his message was clear, that he loves me, always has, and for now that was all he could reveal. 

Dreams are just that, dreams. Kind of like a Hallmark movie. We wish for them to be true, but that isn't reality. What it is, is my mind desperately trying to understand what is happening to my life, to my marriage, to the man I thought I knew very well for 36 years. I know when I was writing my dissertation in graduate school, I practically wrote Chapter 5 (the discussion section, in which you have to interpret and make sense out of the results you obtained) in my sleep. There were aspects of my data that I just had trouble explaining, yet while sleeping, my mind was actively putting the pieces together. Which was why back then I slept with a pad of paper by my nightstand. I would awake up and immediately record thoughts! I view the issues I am having now, as significant as trying to write a dissertation. I have lots of data points, but they don't make sense to me. So instead my mind goes into overdrive at night trying to make sense of the unexplainable. 

After I cleaned up breakfast plates and got my parents settled. I went outside on our porch with Indie our cat. It is a shame that we have a beautiful backyard and my parents do not enjoy sitting outside, like I do. So I went outside alone. Indie was thrilled. I haven't let her out in weeks, not after she disappeared from the porch for an hour one night. Now if she goes out, she is with me, so I can supervise her every move. 
This is our porch. One of the things I fell in love about this house was the porch and gardens. In fact, that was what drew me to the house in 2021. Its Southern charm! To be surrounded by greenery, to me is a gift and this was my glimmer for the day. 

A few months ago, I tried to record three things I am grateful for each day. I had to give up on that quest, because I struggled with the whole notion. But glimmers are smaller aspects of my day, which I am trying to make room for and capture in mind and spirit. Who knows how long that will last, but for today, I spent thirty minutes outside on the porch, taking in the hummingbirds, birds, Indie, and the greenery. 

No comments: