Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 28, 2024

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2003. Mattie was one and I captured him in a photo as he was crawling over to the basket where I kept all of his books. Mattie loved to look at books, to pull them all out of the basket and flip through the pages. I read to Mattie daily and he had several favorites. In fact, I got to experience the beauty of children's books by exploring them with Mattie. 


Quote of the day: I fell in love with him two seconds after I saw him. And I’ll never stop loving him, even though it doesn’t make sense anymore. ~ Nicole, “Marriage Story”


Each day I wake up and wonder, what will happen to me today? I could say that I am hopeful that tomorrow will be a better day, but it never is! The profound sadness and confusion are overwhelming. I live under inordinate amounts of stress and I am not sure how much more I can handle. 

In the past, during such turmoil, I turned to Peter. We certainly have endured our share of turmoil with Mattie's diagnosis, cancer journey and death. We had such a special connection, that when Peter would talk with me during challenging times, I knew everything was going to be okay. I would say that no one else in my life has had this same ability to calm me down and reorient my outlook. But I guess that was the beauty of our connection and our 35 years together. I trusted Peter and I do not easily give my trust and love away. 

Though I may have gone out on dates in high school, I would say that Peter was my first boyfriend. We grew up together, went to college together, sang in our college choir together, we supported each other through various graduate school programs, jobs, my dissertation, studying for my licensure exam, having a baby, raising Mattie, Mattie's sensory issues, Mattie's schooling, Mattie's cancer diagnosis, Mattie's death, creating and running Mattie's foundation, and the list goes on. With each and every life event, we grew closer, we found ways through life's highs and deepest lows. We had no family in the Washington, DC area, so we relied heavily on one another. 

Trying to live life without the person who has been an integral part of my life now for 35 years is disorienting and disheartening. But here I am, though I am not sure I am going to get through this particular chapter in my life. No glimmers today. That notion was short lived and GONE!  

No comments: