Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 17, 2024

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. Mattie was home between cancer treatments and that day he received a gift in this Styrofoam  container. As you can see, Mattie took the Styrofoam and put tape around it and transformed it into a bicycle helmet. The beauty of Mattie. How I wish Mattie were alive today, because I have a feeling he would be an incredible support and ally.






Quote of the day: There’s such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is a way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions. ~ Dean Koontz


This morning, after getting my dad up, ready, and to his memory care center, I then drove to Sunny's oncology practice. I donated five bags of things.... food, treats, and medication. Removing these items from the house really did not seem disrespectful, as these things do not define Sunny. In fact, on the kitchen counter, I had three bins full of medication. Where those bins used to sit, I put a little display of acorns and two charms... a sunflower and a butterfly. I will have to take a photo of that. 

I was out several times today and I worried I would miss the UPS man. I knew Sunny's ashes were going to be delivered today, and I was required to be home and to sign for them. But it was meant to be!

At around 4pm, I saw his truck pull up. I got my coat on and met him half way up the driveway. He was a lovely man and he began to comment on my neighbor's construction chaos in our cul de sac. NOT a topic you want to discuss with me. He told me that every time he comes down our street our circle is a hot mess. I told him, he should try living here. In any case, I was deeply touched that such a kind and sensitive man delivered my Sunny's ashes. 
Sunny's ashes were beautifully and carefully shipped and packed. It came with this certificate of cremation from Agape Pet Services. When I saw the word Agape, I immediately was taken back to graduate school. Agape is a Greek work describing a form of LOVE. Agape love, which is most often crowned as the highest form of Christian love, is the kind of love and action that shows empathy; extends the desire for good of the beloved; wants the best; extends help or demonstrates good intentions; and is intended for everyone. Seems like a very fitting name for this end of life pet service. 

This evening, I started setting up this special place in my office! My Sunny corner. You can see the beautiful wooden box filled with Sunny's ashes. On the box is a plaque that reads... 

Sunny Brown
Forever our Sunman
2011-2024

I will be working on a glass photo display of Sunny and will build upon this area over time. But I am very grateful for friends sending me cards and this beautiful angel. 

This evening, I had my weekly counseling session. I canceled last week's because of Sunny's death. We had a lot to catch up on and there are times she and I do not see eye to eye. However, I have no problem expressing myself, getting my points across and describing how I am feeling and my outlook on life. My outlook on life is non-existent at the moment. I am quite sure if my parents weren't alive, she would probably be extremely worried about me. But for now, they need me, and therefore I go on. 

No comments: