Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 22, 2019

Monday, April 22, 2019

Monday, April 22, 2019


Tonight's picture was taken on Easter of 2009. That was our last Easter with Mattie. Like many other holidays that year, Mattie spent it in the hospital. Two teenage friends from his school came that day to do an Easter egg hunt in the hospital hallways. Of course they had to help Mattie, as he was wheel chair bound. I snapped this photo after the hunt was over, as Mattie was happy to have a full basket of eggs. 









Quote of the day: Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. ~ Blaise Pascal 


Being that it is the Foundation's Walk season, it feels like I am working non-stop and juggling so many things to make this event happen. I spent a good part of the morning managing our correspondence and acknowledgments with corporate sponsors. Later in the day, I went to check the Mattie Miracle post office box, as donations are constantly coming and I want to be on top of it. 

Over the years, I have gotten to know all the people who work at the post office where our Foundation's mailbox is located. They are absolutely lovely people and go out of their way to deliver the best possible service. I have seen them tape boxes for customers, find the best possible shipping methods for customers, and I know they look out for my post box too. I literally will drive 20-25 minutes to this post office to manage my own personal mail too! Why? Because my local post office in DC is dysfunctional, bordering on rude and incompetent. 

I felt harried by the time I got to the post office. Naturally there was a line, but I didn't mind waiting. When I got up to the counter, there was a customer behind me waiting. I started talking to Darryl (the mail clerk), and don't you know it that the man behind me chimed in. So we had a three way conversation. When the man behind me left the post office, he said to Darryl that he figured I had to be from Washington, DC since I was glamour. His comment made me laugh because I was in my dog walking clothes, looking anything but glamour. 

But this is the second time in less than four days, that I have been standing in a line, and people have joined into my conversation. The last time was at the grocery store, as I told the check out clerk that the store was missing mint jelly for Easter lamb. My mere mention of mint jelly caught the attention of three other women around me! They almost looked thrilled that I spoke up and told the store about the missing jelly. In fact, they came over to my counter to see how the clerk was going to answer me and by the time I was finished I had the manager checking all over the store for mint jelly, with the four of us in tow. I am not sure what my point is to this, other than I do enjoy chatting and connecting with people and I am glad to know that despite the intensity of technology in our lives, there are still others out there not nose down in a phone who also want to connect. 

No comments: