Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 2, 2014

Monday, June 2, 2014

Monday, June 2, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken on May 17, 2006. Mattie was in Margaret's preschool classroom and you can see he was all the way in the front of the classroom in the corner by the window. Mattie's preschool is a coop school, meaning that parents volunteer in the classroom each day on a rotating schedule. That day was my turn, and therefore, I got to participate in the class. It was a wonderful way for me to get to know the children in the class, to interact with Mattie's teachers, and to see Margaret doing what she was so gifted at.... teaching children. I realize a coop program is not for every parent, but it was the perfect model for me, which enabled me to have a very hands on experience in Mattie's preschool development. I am so happy I did not miss a moment with Mattie or with my friend, Margaret!


Quote of the day: If I had a single flower for every time I think of you, I could walk forever in my garden. ~ Claudia Adrienne Grandi


I wasn't feeling well last night and literally it was impossible to sleep! When I woke up this morning I had an 101 fever and was sick to my stomach! I knew these signs all too well because these were just some of the awful symptoms Peter had last week! Keep in mind that Peter is still not 100% yet! I was so lethargic, I never left my bed today. Which is NOT like me at all. 



I came across this photo I took of Margaret and my friend Susan during our Mattie Miracle 2011 Walk. Margaret and Susan were representing the Foundation at the Foundation Table. Margaret did this for us until she got sick. Margaret did this beautifully because Margaret knew many of our contributors within the community and therefore had a way to greeting them, reconnecting with them, and updating them about our progress in a non-intrusive manner. A beautiful smile that will be missed as a friend and somehow I always look for her behind our Foundation Table at our Walks!

In honor of Margaret, my dear friend Mary Ann sent me a photo of these beautiful roses in her neighborhood! 










Mary Ann also sent me a photo of these Irises in her neighborhood. Margaret grew irises as well and recently about a month or so ago Margaret gave me a stack of note cards. On each of the note cards were featured photos of flowers from her garden over the years. Needless to say I never plan on using these cards. In a way they are works of art and a wonderful remembrance of my dear friend, and the gardener that she was.  



I have appreciated my friends sending me photos of flowers! Not only did it brighten my day, but I would like to think that while they were helping me to think of Margaret, they were thinking of her on some level too! My friend Linda sent me a photo of these happy pansies today. Pansies and petunias are fascinating flowers to me because they look like faces, full of expression. 

No comments: