Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 3, 2014

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 -- Mattie died 247 weeks ago today.

Tonight's photo was taken in September of 2008. Mattie was diagnosed with cancer and his preschool invited him back to the playground after hours to see his two teachers, the director, and to play with his buddy, Alex. They wanted Mattie to have a chance to feel support in a normal environment which he enjoyed playing in! Standing right next to me on the top step was Margaret. Then on the second level from left to right were Kim (Resurrection Children's Center's Director), Mattie, Kathy (Mattie's preschool teacher, during Mattie's second year at the School. Kathy is another gifted teacher and to this day comes to our Foundation Walks and participates in our fundraising teams!), and Alex. The woman dressed in pink in the front row is Deb (the School's occupational therapist). 


Quote of the day: If suffering like hers had any use, she reasoned, it was not to the sufferer. The only way that an individual's pain gained meaning was through its communication to others. ~ Diane Wood Middlebrook


As I remain in bed today still not feeling well, with a fever, this gives me a great deal of time to reflect on the death of my friend, Margaret. As Diane Middlebrook's quote implies, individual pain itself serves NO purpose unless it is communicated to others. I personally gravitate and support this message. However, Since this is Mattie's and in essence my blog, I am in NO way trying to give Margaret's illness a voice here. Instead, I can only provide my own insights into what it was like as her friend trying to interact with her as she battled ALS.

In many ways, I lost my 85 year old friend, Mary and Margaret in a similar manner. The only difference is with Mary her decline was gradual and with Margaret there was no time to prepare. One week Margaret was talking and eating and practically the next week, those skills were lost. But in all essence, there were no plateaus for Margaret. She never was able to reach an equilibrium. She went from being unable to walk, to being unable to use her arms, to being unable to talk, to swallow, and then to breath. A rapid, rapid decline, nothing happened gradually. Being trapped in one's body unable to do anything for one's self and being unable to communicate to the outside world..... to me that is hell on earth. The frustrations and depression this can produce are enormous but seeing this impact your own friend, a person you knew to be full of life, who was independent and liked to do things for herself, to help people, to accomplish thing, and to converse both in writing and verbally.... this was the worst possible disease I could ever imagine for my dear friend. 

Many of my visits with Margaret involved crying. For those of you reading this, you may be saying..... "how sad," or "how depressing." Why did I not go to cheer Margaret up, make her laugh, take her mind off her troubles? Serve as a diversion? At times I would do that, because clearly none of us can sit in agony all the time, and if you knew Margaret, then you knew she had a great sense of humor. The disease never stripped her of that, amazingly! Because in all honesty if I were in her situation, I am not sure I could have been as introspective. Perhaps it is who I am or just what our relationship was all about, but Margaret and I always talked about feelings openly. So not addressing the underlying issues about the crisis at hand seemed disingenuous and I always wanted her to know I was there to listen and to try to understand. She knew this and understood this and I imagine this is why it was easy to cry together. But crying is an important emotional outlet and sometimes this is not something you can do with those you are closest to because you want to protect them from more hurt and more pain. 

Yet in all our conversations, and no matter how sick and declining Margaret was, our talks were always TWO WAYS. She always wanted to know how I was doing, what I was up to, and she wanted to be a part of my life. That speaks volumes about her as a person and her character. A true friend and a special human being. 

One thing is for certain though, Margaret had the best quality of life given her circumstances only because of the diligence of her husband and children who were by her side religiously. I am sure if you asked them, they would not even view themselves as Margaret's caregivers. They were there because of the love and deep connection they have for Margaret and yet as I know all too well, caring for someone so intensely has long term consequences physically and mentally. I know this not only as a professional (which ironically was my area of research study before Mattie developed cancer, caregivers of ill family members) but unfortunately from my very personal experiences of caring for my grandmother and Mattie.   

In December of 2007, Margaret and I went to the top of the National Cathedral and had high tea for the Holidays. It was a very special treat. I never knew such an event existed, but leave it to Margaret! She introduced me to many wonderful things around town! It was a very memorable moment and though Margaret wasn't as photo happy as I was, she put up with my need for documentation. Not unlike Mattie! Several months ago, I resent this photo to Margaret, and her response to me was she was SO HAPPY to see that moment in time again! 

No comments: