Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 17, 2014

Friday, October 17, 2014

Friday, October 17, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. We took Mattie to the Walkersville Railroad in Maryland. We had a lovely train trip along the countryside and saw cows and wonderful vegetation. Mattie and Peter enjoyed the adventure of being on the outdoor train car for a while until it got too chilly and then they came inside and joined me. One of the train cars had a potbelly stove, which was the train car I parked myself in because to me it was a cold and damp day! As you can see NO other passengers were outside with Peter and Mattie!!! 


Quote of the day: I am hopelessly in love with a memory. An echo from another time, another place. ~ Michel Foucault


As I tried to write tonight's blog, it was a true comedy show. I am just tired and words are not coming to me. Peter got a kick out of watching me get distracted, laughing about something that I was attempting to write, and then finally tried to redirect me by taking me outside on the deck. As we went outside here was the sight Peter showed me. 

A lovely spider who spun a web in our outdoor light. That doesn't do much for me, but Mattie would have LOVED this big time. Which is why we photographed it. I will never forget how Mattie had a toy tarantula that was battery powered that he would send down the hallway of the hospital, especially at nighttime. This thing made noise, its eyes would light up and it was just creepy. Nurses knew it was Mattie and many of them appreciated his sense of humor, his desire to get their attention, and sometimes he even attached notes to them on the spider. Funny how this spider web can take me right back in time. 


No comments: