Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 24, 2015

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 -- Mattie died 285 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken during the Mattie March of 2009. This was the event planned by our Team Mattie care community, that in essence has served as the model for all subsequent Foundation Walks. Pictured with Mattie are two of my former undergraduate students, Ariel and Tess. Ariel has graduated from nursing school and is practicing in New York City. Mattie's battle with cancer and our story inspired her and today I found out that Tess just got accepted to nursing school. Both women were captured by Mattie and the role that nurses played in our lives. I can only imagine Mattie's reaction to hearing this news and I have to wonder how he would feel knowing that his life has changed the career path of others.  


Quote of the day: To me, education is a leading out of what is already there in the pupil's soul. Muriel Spark


Today I had the wonderful surprise of getting a message through Facebook from a former student of mine. I am not a big Facebook fan or user. I do use it to promote our Foundation, but I do not have a personal page for myself. I suppose in lieu of a Facebook page I have Mattie's blog, and Mattie's blog is FAR more detailed about my life. I have known Tess for at least 10 years. Perhaps longer. She was a student of mine when I taught at the George Washington University. However, there are some students who do stand out in my career and I can assure you I taught hundreds of students. Tess was such a student. When Tess contacted me today and told me she was accepted into nursing school, I wasn't at all surprised by this. She is a very bright, committed, and compassionate individual. However, what I did not know was the extent to which Mattie's battle, the blog, and my story have impacted her decision. After all these years I was truly touched to hear that I have made such a difference in the mind and heart of one of my students. As I told Tess, this is a true gift she gave me as a teacher and as a person. 



This is the message Tess wrote to me on Facebook today..............
Mattie Miracle - I had you in mind this weekend at the Cycle for Survival event to raise money for rare cancer research. Mattie's story has had a lifelong impact on me, and the Sardi family continues to inspire me, especially as I head into the nursing profession!

The message Tess wrote is lovely but I also love what is on her poster. It says... Vicki I'm remembering your Mattie Miracle. Mattie (2002-2009). Your blog changed my life. You inspired me to go to nursing school!! I'll never forget and I want to help make a difference. 

No comments: