Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 11, 2015

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007. This is another favorite photo of mine. I snapped this picture of Mattie outside our hotel in Coronado, CA. You will notice flamingos behind Mattie. Mattie was giving me his impression of one and naturally I felt this deserved to be captured in a photo! 
Quote of the day: We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained. ~ Marie Curie


Tonight I am back safely in Washington, DC. In a way air travel is a rather remarkable thing especially when you experience intense turbulence. I hate flying even on a good day, but on a day when I am flying through weather, I can definitely say I rather be on the ground. Thankfully I had taken Dramamine otherwise my seat mate would have gotten more than he bargained for today. I felt queasy even on the meds. Thankfully the intense turbulence lasted only 30 minutes, in which even the flight attendants had to remain seated. For me being able to look out a window and see land are psychologically important. Not that this is going to logically accomplish anything in an emergency at 36,000 feet off the ground. Yet it helps orient my head, which is crucial if you have motion issues. In any case, I was assigned to sit in a row of the plane today that literally had NO window. Do not ask me how this is possible, but if something odd can happen on a plane, it will happen to me. The flight attendant explained to me that the engineers have been playing around with seat reconfiguration and in the process two rows on the plane landed up without windows. So where a window should be there is only the wall of the airplane. I managed, but wasn't happy about it at all. 

Before I boarded the plane today, I was standing in front of a man who was on his cell phone. He was talking quite loudly, so I couldn't help but overhear his every word. He felt very important, as he told the person on the other end of the phone that he was wining a National award and had to show up to receive the award in a tuxedo. That wasn't so bad, but it only got more revealing as he kept on talking. He then explained that while he was in LA, he got up every morning at 6am, to run 4 miles, and said how delightful that was! He proceeded to say that he also had the opportunity to visit several stores while in LA such as the Nike store, Lululemon and some other athletic store that escapes me right now. He proceeded to tell the person on the phone that Nike has quite the store philosophy. All the "good looking and in shape" people are working the floor of the store and all the blah and not good looking types are working the cash registers. At which point, I couldn't take it any more!!!! I couldn't believe that someone actually existed that could be so shallow, self absorbed, and with screwed up priorities and was standing behind me. I wanted to see for myself just what he looked like since he clearly loved to judge others for their looks! Unfortunately he maybe able to dish it out, but given what I saw, he should work on the gift of humility! I was simply disgusted by his phone call conversation and his attitude, but then Jane Austen's story of Pride and Prejudice (which I just saw as a play on Sunday) came to my mind. Perhaps he was displaying pride and I was dishing out prejudice. Either case, some times when I reflect on the bigger picture and I know that families are struggling with childhood cancer or others of us have lost children to cancer and other diseases, I can't help but view such conversations as frivolous and a whole lot of nonsense.  

No comments: