Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 24, 2015

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. Mattie was home between treatments and as you can see was experimenting with his googles that he just received. The googles had a straw attached to them and they were a clever gadget that enabled him to exercise his lungs post surgery. The googles were filled with so much milk that you could hardly see Mattie's eyes! Despite being in pain, feeling isolated, sad, and in many cases needing a lot of help holding, playing or using a gift..... Mattie was always a good sport and eagerly opened each of the gifts people from his care community sent him and was always gracious about each gift received! 


Quote of the day: Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least. Goethe

I woke up at 5am this morning not feeling well! It was the kind of pain, a pain I know well, that wakes me up out of a deep sleep. It is bladder pain. This type of pain makes it impossible to rest, sit still, or frankly think about anything else other than seeking immediate help! So I called my doctor's nurse and left her a message, because I wanted my doctor to prescribe me antibiotics. However, when you have a chronic issue you also learn to triage yourself. So I started popping things in order to function otherwise I know that this pain will make me absolutely crazy. As the morning rolled along, I also emailed my doctor who insisted I come into the office to be seen. Mind you I just saw her two weeks ago, since she is the one who ordered me that upsetting scan. But in order to get what I wanted, I know I also have to comply with her demands at times. So it works both ways. I am quite sure that if I did not self medicate on antibiotics and other things I had at home, I would not have been physically able to drive 40 minutes in traffic to her office. I wonder if doctors even think of these things?! A patient in terrible pain.... why not then have the patient drive in morning rush hour, to come to the office to give a specimen and be seen? NO PROBLEM..... sounds reasonable, no?! I don't know what part of the brain functioning is missing sometimes from the medical profession. 

If the doctor doesn't get me laughing, then her nurse practitioner had me on the floor. I left my doctor's nurse practitioner a voice mail at 5am. By the time I got home, after being seen by the doctor, the nurse called me back and left me a message. But it was the content of the message that was an absolute riot. Clearly the nurse did not listen to the actual message I left her before calling me back. That would have been step one to good patient care. She missed that step! Or she could have looked at my chart and seen that I just visited this doctor two weeks ago and had a thorough evaluation. She missed that step as well. But the final icing on the cake was when she left me a message and in the message she started talking and you could tell it was just haphazard, free flowing consciousness. She wanted me to know that I needed to come to the office today since I had symptoms and because the doctor hadn't seen me for some time, then in the next breath retracted her statement since she said..... no I see in the chart you just saw the doctor. In the second breath, she then went on to say, OH NO, I see the doctor just prescribed you something today. It was true dysfunction on the phone! To me this all could have been avoided if the nurse had taken two minutes to look up my name and check her computer screen, got her facts straight and then started speaking. It just left me with a bad feeling that people who are this scattered are overseeing my healthcare and I am reminded of a statement Jey (Mattie's CT transporter and Big Brother at Georgetown) used to say to me often. Jey would say that sometimes people working in healthcare forget why they got into the profession to begin with, but it is important to always remember that every patient means something to someone and may come into a medical setting needing support. Which is the role of the health care provider, not just to provide the care! You can see why Jey and I saw eye to eye and why Mattie related to him from the get go. 

No comments: