Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 13, 2016

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Tonight's pictures were taken in February of 2006. I posted a similar photo last night of Mattie creating hand made Valentine's Day cards for his friends and teachers in preschool. Mattie absolutely loved these creative projects and could really focus on them and in a thoughtful manner. 

This was what some of the finished products looked it!














Quote of the day: When a child dies, a parent loses a part of themselves, he said. “Your whole world ceases to exist and you’re nothing but a shell of the person you once were. Your mom has dealt with it in her way, me in mine, and you in yours.” He lifted his hand off John’s gravestone and rose. “Your mom hates the world, I avoid it, and you try to save it. ~ Nicole Williams


What an amazingly powerful quote. However, I think it is quite possible to "hate the world, avoid the world, and save it" all at the same time. Well maybe not at the same time, but clearly ONE person can have all these emotions when their child is no longer with them and a part of this world. 

Innocently we went to Pier 1 today to buy these beautiful pink pressed glasses in the store. I knew exactly which glasses I wanted to purchase before entering the store, but one of the store representatives came over to assist us anyway. He helped us track down the glasses I saw on line and was interested in buying. While discussing the glasses he innocently asked how many glasses I wanted to buy and how many people lived in our home? He asked about the number of people because that would change how many glasses he would recommend us purchasing. I am sure this is was a typical question, but the question has bothered me all day. I answered him by saying it is just the two of us, but of course in the back of my mind, I wanted to say...... that is a complicated question for us because we used to be three and now we are two. When we were three, we had much more action and life in our home and I would have needed more glasses. 

As a follow up on Lovie the dove, I called City Wildlife today. Each animal that is checked into the facility is given a patient ID number. You can call up the center and get updates about the animal. So this morning I called. At first they had a hard time locating the patient number in their system. But after that struggle, the vet on the phone told me that Lovie was doing okay, and was getting supportive care. Then literally ten minutes later our phone rang and another person said that they gave me misinformation. That there were two doves at the center and Lovie was the dove that had to be put to sleep. That her injuries were too extensive for her to be able to live. So they humanly euthanized her. I was absolutely shocked and said that perhaps I should have left her on our doorstep. She then said, that I did the right thing and that Lovie at least died humanly. Then literally within minutes of that call, we got a third call saying that the euthanized bird was NOT Lovie. But the other dove in their care. By this point I was so crazy over these three phone calls, I asked to speak to their clinical director. The clinical director is who I spoke to yesterday when I dropped off Lovie. Today the clinical director apologized for the ID mistake and all the misinformation. But she confirmed for me that everything we discussed yesterday was in motion today. Lovie is on an IV, on pain meds, and scheduled for an x-ray on Monday, because of an injured wing. We have concluded that Lovie most likely got injured from flying into a window. 

No comments: