Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 31, 2016

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken on April 4, 2009. Mattie was in the hospital hallway holding all the balloons he received from his big birthday party in the child life playroom. Mattie absolutely LOVED balloons. It started at a very young age. We would take Mattie into Harris Teeter (a grocery store) and the first thing Mattie wanted was NOT the free cookies they gave kids, but the balloons they gave children. In fact anywhere that gave out balloons to children, Mattie was there waiting in line. Believe me I knew ALL the places that celebrated children in this way. I can still recall taking this photo and I love the big smile on Mattie's face. It was the beauty of Mattie, he found moments of joy in between great pain and sadness. 


Quote of the day: There is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. ~ Winnie the Pooh



In September of 2014, I met Jenny Mulks Wieneke, the Founder and CEO of a non-profit called Along Comes Hope. We met at an awareness event on the National Mall in Washington, DC. After meeting Jenny, the next day she donated about 50 HOPE teddy bears to MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. Keep in mind that Jenny lives in California, not the East Coast. 

In honor of Mattie's 14th birthday, Jenny sent Peter and me a HOPE teddy bear and her Colors of Hope coloring book. A very thoughtful gift and remembrance. I really wish I had such a bear when Mattie was alive, because this bear has a recording device inside of it for children to leave messages! It makes a beautiful keepsake. I wanted to thank Jenny for her gift, so I took of photo with HOPE (the bear) in front of Mattie's Mr. Sun painting. Mattie's painting is what inspired our Foundation's logo and to me it symbolizes the hope that Mattie left behind. 


This afternoon, I had lunch with my friend, Margy. I consider Margy my first friend that I met on Facebook. Many of myFacebook friends I know personally, but Margy was the first one I friended who I had never met. I knew of her through mutual friends, as Margy was their child's play therapist when this little girl was battling cancer. Margy has helped hundreds of children and their families over the years and we both align on the importance of psychosocial care and the impact of cancer on the entire family system. 

Today Margy showed me this beautiful metal heart ornament that she bought for Mattie's memorial tree. She plans on visiting the tree and placing the ornament on it for Mattie's 14th birthday. Margy is no stranger to Mattie's tree, as she visited it with me in the Fall of 2015 and also has placed other ornaments on the tree. 

This coming Monday, will mark Mattie's 14th birthday. It is hard to believe that we celebrated 7 birthdays with Mattie and now 7 birthdays without him. As my friend in cancer, Ilona, says to me Monday marks our 7+7! 

No comments: