Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 22, 2016

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2004. I went on a field trip with Mattie's first preschool to Butler's Orchard in Maryland for a hayride and to visit the pumpkin patch. Mattie absolutely LOVED the hay ride, jumping in hay, and seeing a field full of pumpkins on the vine. 



Quote of the day: Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


I had the opportunity to have lunch today with a friend who is battling breast cancer. Naturally there has been a great deal for her to adjust to, not to mention the impact of her treatment on her entire family. However, while talking today, what caught my attention was what she feels cancer has taught her. It has taught her exactly what Goethe quote refers to..... to focus on what matters most in life. Now that she is going through treatment, she has more time to focus on herself and those in her life. When healthy, we really push ourselves to work that extra hour, accomplish as much as possible, and unfortunately with all this pressure something has to give. What usually gives or is compromised is connecting with family and friends, because we think, there will be time later for this when things lighten up in our lives. CANCER is the universal eliminator, the disease that clears the deck of everything expendable and unimportant. 


I was able to relate to what my friend was saying because I lived through Mattie's battle and saw how present focused I became. Actually, part of me is this this way even today. I really refuse to do much long term planning anymore. I think once you lose a child to cancer, your future dies, and therefore I find that I have no interest to dwell over future plans, and do drag my feet when it comes to planning anything further than a week out. I assure you I wasn't like this before Mattie's cancer. This is just one of MANY psychosocial issues that childhood cancer left me with, and I wasn't even the patient. 

This afternoon, when I came home after visiting with my friend, Sunny and I went for a walk. In total we walk about 7 miles daily. This is what Sunny looks like after a walk. While I was working, I had Sunny on one side of me and Indie on the other! 
Can you see Indie? She is sitting on a chair getting the afternoon sun. In three weeks time, Indie has now officially adjusted to Sunny. She doesn't hid, freely plays and walks in front of him and even drinks out of his water bowl. I think this co-existence has occurred so soon because of Sunny's disposition. He seems to read people and animals well and adjusts his behavior accordingly. Sunny has been very patient, gentle, and friendly with Indie. I am so proud of Indie for responding! 

No comments: