Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 22, 2017

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004. Peter came home from work and Mattie greeted him in our front hallway. As you can see I taped all sorts of activity pages to the wall. This was one of the activities I had at Mattie's birthday party. Typically kids can't draw on the wall, but at our party, they were encouraged to have this unusual fun. As you can see I left up the paper, days after Mattie's party. Mattie enjoyed the whole notion of being able to create on the wall. In retrospect, I am so glad I did this, and that Mattie had unique party parties. 




Quote of the day: Each patient carries his own doctor inside him.  Norman Cousins


Frankly I think most medical doctors need to go back to school. Sensitivity training should be mandated, and I also think some time as an actual patient for a few days in a hospital should be a requirement for licensure renewal! Aren't they lucky I don't sit on a medical licensure board as a community member?!!!!

Somewhere between growing up and getting a medical degree the basic common human decencies were lost. Not only lost but for some doctors completely extinguished with no hopes of ever returning. I believe doctors do not share Norman Cousins' philosophy that patients carry their own doctors inside of them! In fact, some doctors are threatened when asked questions or challenged. That to me is the sign of a very insecure doctor. 

The health saga with my dad continues. It is hard to believe that he went in for a simple colonoscopy two weeks ago to give insight into his medical issues, and instead of finding answers..... more medical issues were created. Such as not being able to urinate, at all. For two weeks this has been going on and his urologist is one for the books. Mind you this isn't a quack, but a well respected physician in his field. Of course, I have learned that doesn't mean much either! Why is it acceptable that a physician can be competent and skilled in his field and yet be an absolute nightmare to interact with.... having no regard for patients' feelings, fears, and concerns? Why can't competent and compassionate go together?

Now if you weren't able to urinate (with medical assistance) for two weeks, I am sure you wouldn't be happy. In fact you would be down right edgy, agitated and in need of answers. How is it that the doctor doesn't see this or have this insight? I haven't met this doctor but I want to throttle him. 

When my mom questioned the urologist today, the doctor snapped! Again, get a reality check Mr. Doctor! I am not sure what drives me absolutely batty.... the doctor's dismissive and patronizing tone, or his lackadaiscal attitude about the problem and not wishing to do further testing until Monday! All I can say is wow!!! If you have never had a bladder issue, I marvel at that, because issues around the bladder can be very painful and truly make you so uncomfortable that you can look mentally unstable. So here we wait! 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Truly Vicki, While I know it is probably too hard both physically & emotionally for your parents, your Dad should fire this well respected competent Dr. and see someone else. It is very hard to do this, I know! But on the outside looking in - With my own medial bladder issues awhile back, I can't see how your Dad is tolerating each day. No one is addressing his pain level or his stress level. Monday is unacceptable. When did it become impossible to admit your patient and run a battery of tests, looking into all possible reasons. Instead, he does a test or two finds nothing conclusive, then leaves your parents to figure out the next few days.. I would have a hard time today, not reminding the Dr. It is 2017 and questions are part of receiving good care and understanding what is happening better. I am hoping & praying they get to more testing before Monday!

The picture of Mattie is wonderful. You exposed him and provided such sensory and tactile adventure! Coloring on the wall. I bet every child their was delighted. What a wonderful experience and memory