Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 12, 2019

Monday, February 11, 2019

Monday, February 11, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken on Valentine's Day of 2009. Mattie surprised me with a crown of hearts and a box filled with Mattie creations. To this day, I still have this box and crown in our hallway closet. I will never forget that day, as Mattie worked hard on these items. I was literally removed from the child life playroom in the hospital for hours, so Mattie could create without me watching! When I was invited back into the room, Mattie's art therapist captured the  moment you see here on camera for me. 


Quote of the day: It’s better to be a lion for a day than a sheep all your life. ~ Elizabeth Kenny


Yesterday I clearly twisted my back the wrong way, and now I am dealing with non-stop muscle spasms. Thank goodness for Advil, otherwise I wouldn't be able to move at all. Should make for a fun day sitting still tomorrow on a cross country flight. It has been unseasonably cold in Los Angeles, I am talking about temperatures in 40's in the morning and night. Not to mention rain. I was very worried about my parent's house and the impending rain this week, but fortunately the forecast has changed and now they will only receive two days of rain, rather than a week's worth. Rain of any kind, is a major set back for the clean up and construction at the house. It is hard to leave as I know my presence makes a difference, if I only could split in half.


Meanwhile on the Foundation front, the Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses announced our Mattie Miracle grants today. We are offering three $2,500 grants, specifically to provide funding for nursing evidence-based projects that implement into practice the recommendations from the Standards for the Psychosocial Care of Children with Cancer and Their Families.



To learn more, check out these links below:

Mattie Miracle Grant Opportunity

More Specifics on how to apply

No comments: