Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 15, 2019

Friday, February 15, 2019

Friday, February 15, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. I snapped this photo because I loved how Mattie devoured a homemade cupcake! He honestly lived on cupcakes for a period of time at the hospital. Cancer treatment wrecked havoc on Mattie's appetite. He went through a donut phase, a chicken tenders phase, an Utz (and ONLY Utz) potato chip phase, a vanilla shake phase, and  finally a cupcake phase. When ever we were home between hospital stays, I baked dozens of cupcakes, so I would have them available at the hospital!  




Quote of the day: Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.
~ Nora Ephron


My morning started with a ct scan of my abdomen, with and without contrast. The last time I had such a test was back in 2012. Ordered by the same doctor, my urologist. However, in 2012, instead of finding an issue with my bladder, the radiologist found masses on my cervix and said it was indicative of an aggressive form of cancer. The pronouncement left me scared and shocked. But it also added a new doctor to my life, a gyn-oncologist. This doctor followed me with monthly scans for a year. Thankfully, that issue is benign. So needless to say, when my urologist asked me to repeat this scan today, I was less than eager. 

Every person I worked with today for the scan was delightful, starting with the lady who had to insert an IV in my arm for the contrast dye. But I made my wishes known early on in the process today. When Mattie was battling cancer, I learned from one of the hospital radiologists that patients have rights, and we have the right to ask to speak with a radiologist after completing a scan. Well since I learned that IMPORTANT piece of advice, I now always ask to speak to a radiologist so I know immediately what they are seeing on a scan. 

The tech also prepared me for the feeling of the contrast. When this contrast goes into your veins, it literally makes you feel like you are on fire from your head to your toes. Thankfully that feeling passed quickly and thankfully the radiologist saw no cancerous masses. My issues are kidney stones, yet again. Who knew one could be celebrating kidney stones. Considering the alternative, I will take the stones. Now of course, I need to figure out how to deal with them.


When I got home, I went upstairs to wash my hands in the bathroom. Look who followed me up and was eagerly awaiting his walk!
After Sunny's walk, I went grocery shopping, as we are hosting a birthday lunch for our God daughter, Charlotte tomorrow. Her family is coming over with some friends. 

I put a springy (I am hopeful!) table arrangement together.  
Tonight we set the table, so I don't have to worry about it tomorrow morning. In a way, we are cooking a special, almost Thanksgiving day, feast. Including a big turkey! 

PS..... do you see Sunny?? He's worn out, from watching me work all day!
This will be the first dinner we are serving on our new table. When our neighbors moved back to Ireland, they asked me if I wanted to purchase their table and chairs that they bought in Macy's. I am thrilled to have this new set up!

No comments: