Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 5, 2019

Friday, April 5, 2019

Friday, April 5, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2008. It was Mattie's 6th birthday. That year we had Mattie's entire kindergarten class (and a few close preschool friends) at the party. Mattie wanted a bowling party. So that it what we planned, with a Scooby Doo theme. What you may not be able to see from this photo was that Mattie began running a high fever at his party. By the time it was over and we took him home, he landed up falling asleep on the couch. Which for Mattie, was unheard of!


Quote of the day: Remember that people are only guests in your story – the same way you are only a guest in theirs – so make the chapters worth reading. ~ Lauren Klarfeld


This was our sighting last night while sitting outside on our balcony. It has been chilly here, so sitting out on the balcony for me has meant having a blanket and a heating pad on me. Fortunately the patio has an electric outlet. Which has enabled me to enjoy being outside, as I love watching the waves, people walking the beach, and of course seeing the deer. 



When we woke up this morning it was pouring out. We really thought the day was going to be a wash out. But we got lucky, because by 11am, the rain moved out and eventually the sun even came out. 

Actually having the rain in the morning helped to slow me down. I slept longer and it is the first day I don't feel ill in some way or anxious. It has taken me a whole week to get to this point, but unfortunately we leave for home tomorrow. I have concluded with Peter, that we really need two weeks away, not one, as it takes me a week to dial it back. 


In honor of our last day here, we did not want to spend the day in the car. Instead, we wanted to be outside. So we decided to bicycle ride. Literally we biked 12 miles total. Half of it on the beach and the other half on biking paths. 

This is what we saw when on the beach, house after house! They are extraordinary. 
Peter was in front of me, but notice very few people on the beach. People are around, but there is SO much space, we are not on top of each other. I absolutely love this freedom of less people around me.
Passed all sorts of shore birds on our bike ride. The sand is so hard packed for miles that it makes it easy to ride on the beach. 
Horse shoe crab washed ashore during storm. 
I snapped this photo because to me this house looked like one big sand castle!
 A crab coming out to say hi!
This house was on the beach! The houses facing the Atlantic are enormous!
After about 5 miles, we got off the beach and then biked on pathways. Along our journey, there are many ponds next to houses. I am not sure what to look at first, the houses or the wildlife. Both are noteworthy! This anhinga was just sitting and enjoying the sunshine. 
Right next to another pond were several alligators and turtles. What you can't see from this photo, was behind this vegetation is a huge house. I am not sure how I would feel having these guys in my front yard. They say there are 600 alligators living on Kiawah Island. I feel like I have seen at least 30 alligators on this trip. The Island says if you stay away from them, they are harmless. The Island pays attention to these creatures and any alligator deemed a nuisance (meaning is looking to be fed and isn't scared of people) is captured. 

As we were riding on the pathway, in the middle of a residential neighborhood, out popped this deer. He literally was looking at us!
Toward the end of our 12 mile bike ride, we stopped at the Sanctuary Hotel. This is one elegant and yet not pretentious place. They had all sorts of Easter displays, which captured my attention. 
The lobby of the Sanctuary and everyone who works there is super helpful. 
We stopped for an ice cream at the Sanctuary and ate it on their outside terrace. This was our view. 













I end tonight with a photo of us with deer in the backdrop! 

No comments: