Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 3, 2020

Monday, February 3, 2020

Monday, February 3, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken on February 4, 2009. You maybe asking yourself, what in the world was happening here? What was happening was a physical therapy session for Mattie. Ironically, Mattie wasn't the one doing the physical therapy! Instead, he had me and Anna (his physical therapist) down on the floor. Mattie wanted us first to do the activity (Twister) before he'd try it! This wasn't an unusual request from Mattie, as I was used to being the guinea pig! But Anna was a good sport that day, as we both took direction from Mattie and played along. To me it was very important to be part of the process and for Mattie to know that I wasn't going to ask him to do anything I wouldn't do myself. 


Quote of the day: Have you ever found yourself, in the midst of unimaginable grief, pain, heartache, or despair, wondering how you are going to make it through another day? Wondering where your next breath is going to come from? Your world has crumbled beneath you and has left you feeling shattered, empty, and hopeless. And then a well meaning friend or family member comes along and drops the infamous “Everything happens for a reason” bomb. You smile kindly and nod. That’s all you can do to keep yourself from punching them in the face. ~ Christine Suhan


Last night Peter and I went to a Super Bowl party. It was an interesting experience because I would say only about a third of us did not want to see the game. This third landed up chatting and eating, while others watched the game in a different room. While talking with some of the women, one woman told us that "everything happens for a reason." I listened to the context she was using this trite saying and I certainly appreciated what she was saying/sharing. But to me this is a platitude that needs to be shot down and shot down quickly. Because in all reality there are horrible things that people experience, have to live with, and also have to find ways to move forward while carrying such emotional baggage. Frankly there is NO GOOD POSSIBLE REASON to explain away the horrors that happen to us. 

People use this expression when bad things happen to us. I am not sure who they think this saying helps, but chances are it isn't the recipient. I told this woman, as it related to me, that I did not need to lose Mattie to cancer in order to know the importance of helping other people. Long before Mattie got cancer, I chose a profession that helps people and I even got a license to do just that. So I did not need to see my six year old struggling through cancer treatment and then die in a horrific manner to become a compassionate and charitable person. Unfortunately there is NO OTHER way to interpret..... things happen for a reason! There are no good reasons and instead, we need to eliminate this nonsense from our lexicon. 

The following article caught my attention, Let Go Of The Myth That Everything Happens For A Reason: Try This Instead.... Failure and loss are inevitable, but trying to rationalize them can be the last thing you need to do. In particular these two excerpts from the article I found most poignant....................

But, I've always found it profoundly unsettling and extraordinarily selfish to believe that the sole purpose of life's heartaches, failures, losses, illnesses, and assorted derailments is to teach us some fateful lesson that we have been preordained to learn. A failed business, a severe illness, divorce, the loss of a loved one, dashed dreams, natural disasters, each is excruciating in its own unique way. But, the idea that life's unfairness is somehow supposed to be justified by a scripted reason is to me the ultimate abdication of accountability; hell, why mince words, it's outright lazy. 
Its' About Creating Meaning, Not Finding Reason................When my mother struggled for nearly a decade with a horrid disease that robbed her of mobility and cognition one synapse at a time I repeatedly tried to tell myself that there was a reason. Otherwise all of that pain and suffering was for nothing. Each time I'd have that thought I'd then look at her and think, "Whatever I may be learning about the fragility and value of life, how could I possibly justify a reason for her pain?" Was the world created with reasons to teach me lessons at the expense of someone else's suffering? What I realized was that it didn't happen for some predetermined prescriptive reason. Instead it was my responsibility to create something much more important than a reason--I had to create meaning


The author of this article and I are on the same wavelength. In fact, I pushed  back on this woman last night who used this trite saying with me and instead I told her that there are no good reasons for why bad things happen. The best we can do, as we try to move forward and live with them, is to find meaning from these bad experiences. Which I believe is what Mattie Miracle is all about. Peter and I have no reasons to explain why Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. But from Mattie's battle we learned that childhood cancer is not just about the medicine. We take that lesson with us each day as we try to create meaning from Mattie's suffering by helping other children and families. 

It's not about reason, it's about meaning! I love it!!!

Let Go Of The Myth That Everything Happens For A Reason: Try This Instead.....Failure and loss are inevitable, but trying to rationalize them can be the last thing you need to do:

https://www.inc.com/thomas-koulopoulos/its-time-to-say-it-everything-does-not-happen-for-a-reason.html

No comments: