Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 30, 2024

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Tuesday, January 30, 2024 -- Mattie died 748 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. That day we took Mattie out for lunch. We went to one of his favorite restaurants, and this one had a train that ran on a track above diners. Despite all that Mattie was facing.... the fact that he couldn't walk independently anymore, was feeling crummy, and spent more time living in a hospital than at home... he was still able to smile. Truly a remarkable boy and I believe our connection and love, helped him through this horrific nightmare. 


Quote of the day: Dogs die. But dogs live too. Right up until they die, they live. They live brave, beautiful lives. They protect their families. And love us. And make our lives a little brighter. And they don’t waste time being afraid of tomorrow. ~ Dan Gemeinhart


I absolutely love this photo! Both Mattie and Sunny used to do this.... be in our front hallway and stare out onto the deck. Though Sunny and Mattie never met each other, I sometimes had to pause, because they did similar things.... like this! 

Sunny LOVED outdoor time. Though we did not have a backyard when we lived in the city, Sunny had access to our deck and commons area (outside our deck). This commons area was fantastic as it was fully secure from the street and outside world. So much happened in that commons area... Mattie learned to run, fly a kite, ride a bicycle, and drive Speedy Red. 

Of course for Sunny, our commons area was where he could run around off leash and met up with many dogs of fellow residents! How I wish I could turn back time. 

I have a core group of friends and family members that reach out to me on a daily basis. What truly touches my heart is the incredible love, compassion, and support that I am receiving. Better yet what I find is that people are very protective of me and I would like to think this is a result of the kind of life that I have lived. One in which I try to put others first, in which I try to be kind, compassionate, and giving of my time, care, and support. I do believe that in life we get back what we give and once again in my life, as I face more sadness and trauma, people aren't running the other way. Instead they are running towards me. This doesn't go unnoticed, unappreciated, and most definitely do not take it for granted. Every email, text message, card, and gift gets me through the day. 

Tomorrow, I have an appointment at Mattie Miracle's bank. I have received two very suspicious emails and I want a banker to look at them and then tell me what I should do if I actually get a check from one of these people! I have heard that scammers can get access to one's bank account if you cash their checks. I frankly don't know if this is true or false, but rest assured I am going to find out! All the things I am learning and the stress each one provides in my life is huge. 

This evening, over dinner, my mom was driving me crazy. She can get stuck on a particular issue and then beat it into ad nauseum. Some days I can deal with it better than others, but today wasn't that day. So I confronted her and told her I needed a break from heartache, a break from talking about bills, a break from noise, the construction project next door to us, and simply A BREAK. She got it, of course she lashed out about my request, but she stopped.

No comments: