Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 31, 2009

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2003. Mattie was 9 months old and full of energy. Mattie was a late walker, and never crawled. But the one thing he absolutely loved was this walker that made all sorts of car sounds. He loved the freedom these wheels gave him. I remember taking this picture of Mattie. I particularly loved his impish look that he would give me, and that beautiful smile. It is hard to understand or rationalize what happened to him, when I look at this healthy baby picture.

Poem of the day: Along Grief's Journey - Ferna Lary Mills

I hear little children laughing
and the sound brings my soul such pain.
Yet I know in my heart that life goes on
and I must learn to live again.
Some days I stay so busy
I don't even realize you're gone.
Then there are all of those other days when
I feel like I can't go on.
Sometimes I think I dreamed you . . .
that you never existed for real.
You've been gone so long and I'm just not strong
for my life has become surreal.
They tell me it's time to let go
and build a new life without you.
But the builder is weak and I can't even speak
and I don't know what else to do.
How long will this pain last, Lord?
How many tears have I already cried?
It seems like forever since my world fell apart
when my loved one died.

As Peter and I looked up at the sky tonight, we noticed "Mattie Moon" looking down on us. We were talking but stopped to pause in conversation after seeing the moon. Naturally we both immediately thought of Mattie. I value these symbols in nature, and certainly turn to them for comfort and reassurance, but some days, even these are not enough for me. I rather just have Mattie. I understand the sentiments expressed in this poem. For seven years I was a mom, but now as I attempt to live my life without Mattie, I struggle to understand my identity, and often wonder if I am now simply living another existence. I know I did not dream up the essence of Mattie, he really was part of my life, but as time moves forward, and with each day he is not in my life, I am left questioning what is my reality. Therefore approaching a New Year, in my world view is daunting and depressing. Depressing because 2010 will be a year that is completely Mattie free. A year that never experienced Mattie, a year where there will be no possible new memories of Mattie to be made.

I had the opportunity to have tea with Margaret at her home this afternoon. As many of my readers know, Margaret was Mattie's first preschool teacher. When we came to Resurrection Children's Center, Mattie and I were both in a fragile place. Mattie was a challenging baby and toddler, and challenging is most likely putting it mildly. Mattie had many sensory issues, and was also a late walker and talker. He experienced great frustrations because he couldn't communicate. Naturally, as with any of us, when we can't express ourselves, these feelings come out in different ways. With a toddler it was through biting, kicking, and hitting. Mattie wasn't selective and would do this with anyone. Mattie and I spent the first two years of his life pretty much isolated from other children. Not that I did not try to pair him up with other children, I did, but most parents did not understand Mattie and truly disliked his behaviors. Needless to say, parenting Mattie was a humbling, very humbling process. I spent a great deal of time worrying about Mattie, and trying to figure out how to help him. I am telling you this because I want you to understand that in many ways, Peter and I did not have the typical parenting experience right from the start. You may want to dismiss what I am telling you, because you are chalking it up to us being new parents. But I assure you, I had many professionals weigh in on our situation. The one consistent thing that was always true, was we believed in Mattie. I never gave up hope on him, and knew he had great potential. The ironic thing is because of Mattie's initial issues, it forced us to spend hours together alone. It was through this intense time together, that we developed a very tight and special bond, a bond that enabled us to function very well together through cancer. Unlike some other children I saw in treatment turn against their parents, Mattie never did. He trusted us, and I deeply believe he did because of the trials and tribulations we experienced in his toddler years. These issues were just the testing ground for what was to come later. Mattie was the love of my life, and I assure you, if I love you, I will fight to the end for you, and I know on some level Mattie understood this about me.

This brings me to Resurrection Children's Center. When Margaret met Mattie and I, she knew that I had many concerns about Mattie's social development. However, Margaret was the teacher that turned everything around for us. Mattie was nurtured in the classroom in a positive manner, and the year he had with Margaret was a year of amazing growth and development. Mattie developed friends and like a wilting flower given water, Mattie started to blossom. But Margaret wasn't only good for Mattie, she was good for me. This preschool solidified my true feelings about Mattie, and it supported me as a parent. This is something I shall never forget, and most likely one of the many reasons Margaret will always have a special place in my heart. For once, I saw an outsider who understood and appreciated Mattie. It opened up a whole new world for him, and it was wonderful to see him thriving.

Each time I interact with Margaret, I can't help but explore these feeling. Mattie had two of the most positive years of his life in preschool. Margaret gave me a beautiful gift today. She knows that I like collecting angels, and she gave me a little boy angel. The little boy reminds me of Mattie, and he is holding a frog. Something Mattie would have most likely wanted to scare me with. Any case, this little boy angel has joined my other angels on my kitchen windowsill, and each time I look at him, I will be thinking of Mattie.

Later tonight, I went to visit Mary, Ann's mom. After dinner Mary wanted some fresh fruit, but the kitchen staff at her assisted living facility refused to listen to her request. By that time Ann was also visiting, and the two of us were arguing with a chef who clearly has no idea what it is like to live in an institutional setting. His insensitivity to Mary's request was astonishing, and I told him I hope in his life time he never lands up in such an institution where he has to fight just to get a bowl of fruit. He clearly doesn't understand the lack of control these older adults live with each day, and the one thing they may perhaps have an ounce of control over, what they eat, he is denying them. Fascinating and disheartening!

Peter and I went out to dinner tonight with Ann and Bob, and some friends of theirs. It was a lovely dinner, but I am very well aware of the inner turmoil inside my head. I try not to let this affect others, but I do know my limitations. I know that there is no possible way I am celebrating New Year's eve at a party. To me there is nothing to celebrate, and this dull feeling is how I wake up and end each day. Going to a party or being around people who are happy, makes me further depressed. Another sad commentary about myself. I want others to be happy and for good things to happen to them in their lives, yet, I am conflicted because I don't feel this way, nor do foresee such happiness in my own life. These feelings further isolate me from others.

I would like to end tonight's posting with a message from my friend, Charlie. Charlie wrote, "It is hard to believe it has been 16 weeks since Mattie died. In some ways it seems like yesterday and yet it seems much longer that he's been gone. I thank you for meeting me for lunch yesterday; it was good to see you in person but it is clear that while you certainly look put "together" on the outside; on the inside you are clearly hurting. It was very kind of you to continue to make the trip to be with Mary in spite of how of you were feeling. I know that all the older adults you interacted with appreciated having you around. It is too bad that none of them have family who can spend more time with them. As we approach New Years I hope that you and Peter are able to start the foundation on a road that is headed where you hope it will be."

No comments: