Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 15, 2011

Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday, August 15, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2007. Mattie was surrounded by his first cousins, Nat, Sydney, and Will. They were headed on a boating trip with Mattie's uncle, and you can see that Mattie was clearly enjoying the whole adventure! Mattie certainly knew about boats, but when he saw that his uncle owned one, this inspired him. From that point on, he would tell Peter and I periodically that he was saving his money for a boat. In fact, Mattie used to tell others about this desire, and naturally they thought he meant a toy boat. It was only after some clarification did they quickly learn he wasn't talking about a TOY!!!

Quote the day: Grief should be the instructor of the wise. Sorrow is knowledge: they who know the most must mourn the deepest. ~ Lord Byron

Peter and I are adjusting to being back home. Alaska is on Alaska Daylight time, and therefore was four hours behind Washington, DC. So we are dealing with this time change and also trying to get our land legs. For me, I still feel as if I am bobbing up and down in the water, and yet I am on solid ground.

We spent a good portion of the morning taking apart our sprinkler system, weeding, and cleaning up our garden. Unlike in June, all our plants did very well on our trip away. Coming back to dead plants in June was very upsetting, so I am happy to report things are alive and well here.

In fact, as I write tonight's blog, I am sitting outside on our deck with Peter and Patches. Mattie's fountains are running in the background, and though we are in the middle of the city, Mattie's gifts bring us peace. We accomplished more chores today and also picked up Patches from the vet. The vet is running more tests on Patches since she thinks she is sick with a urinary track infection (besides her kidney failure diagnosis that she continues to battle with). When I asked why they thought this, they said because she was going to the bathroom outside her litter box. With that I laughed. I laughed because I said with Patches there is always a psychological component, and I asked whether they considered the fact that she was just acting out because we were away. We shall see who is right in a few days when we get the lab results back!

Peter and I went out for an early dinner. We headed to Mattie's favorite restaurant, but it was closed for renovations until August 22. So we changed plans and ate at another local restaurant and had the opportunity to sit outside, chat, and watch people and dogs pass by!

I would like to end tonight's posting with a message from my friend and colleague, Nancy. Nancy wrote, "I guess it is almost afternoon for you. The quote that you used for Tuesday's blog echoes so many of your feelings during this grieving time. It must have been reassuring to know that others do understand and have walked in your shoes. I know that you would have traded this comradeship quickly for Mattie's recovery and health. My other reaction was this passage gives your reader an opportunity for reflection as to their response to you or any other person experiencing such an unwanted loss. I have appreciated all of your writing so that Mattie and I could be acquainted although we never met. It gave me an understanding of your deep connection and love for each other. Who would have thought that your 7 years would have to last for a lifetime? I am sorry that you've had to go through this, my friend. You have encouraged me to learn how to download pictures from our trip and add them to a travelogue memory book. It will take some time as I never seem to be in one place long enough to take a class for this and our children are all so busy that time isn't available with them right now. I will persevere! The pictures that Peter took are FANTASTIC! We had originally thought of extending our last trip to include Alaska and decided that it would have been too long and expensive. I shall have a vicarious thrill of being there with you as you give the highlights of the trip. I saw on AOL this morning that a glacier dropped near a ship and one person did get hurt. Based on your story of yesterday, I'm glad that it wasn't you. Another happiness for me is that Peter and you are able to do this trip. Nature and Mother Earth are and were so important to your life with Mattie. I think of the picture that Peter brought and know that Mattie is enjoying it with you. Last comment is about the mask that you bought for Mattie in NOLA. I got the same one on an earlier trip. Through the years, it has gotten destroyed, but, I was able to keep a few of the feathers for a memory. Our friendship grows in new ways..."

A video of ice falling off the glacier and onto a small boat injuring a woman (this occurred in Tracy Arm on the SAME day we were there)......

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/10/7331803-ice-chunks-from-calving-glacier-hit-alaskan-tour-boat

No comments: