Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2009, at the Mattie March. The Mattie March was technically our very first walk. It was a walk planned, coordinated, and hosted by Team Mattie. The event was designed to celebrate Mattie and allow him to see how many people were supporting him. During that event, we also acknowledged Mattie's nurses with flowered leis. A lot was going on in this picture. Next to Mattie is Bob Weiman. Bob is the head of Mattie's lower school and besides an educator and school administrator, he is a gifted magician. A skill his dad taught him, and one that Bob was teaching to Mattie. Bob visited Mattie often in the Hospital. He gave Mattie his own magic bag and filled it with many tricks he taught Mattie. Mattie had many magic shows in the Hospital, and in many ways magic helped people connect with him, because as his treatments continued Mattie became more remote, isolated, and wanted to shut out the world. Magic pulled Mattie back into this world, and caused him to engage with those around him. At the Mattie March, Bob arranged for he and Mattie to perform a magic show for all the attendees. The trick they were demonstrating was called Peanut Butter Booger. Perfect name for my six year old. Though that is the official name of the trick, for Bob and I, we unofficially refer to it as "Mattie's Trick." You may notice too the person holding an umbrella over Mattie's head. That is Brandon, Mattie's big buddy. What are big buddies for? Brandon was the best! So if you wonder why there is always a magic show at our Foundation Walks, it is because Bob and Mattie started this tradition together, and Bob continues it, in Mattie's honor.
Quote of the day: Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. ~ Franklin Roosevelt
If happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort like President Roosevelt indicated, then I should be beyond happy today. I finally returned to my zumba class, after being gone from it for weeks!!! I have missed the class and if it were around the corner from me, I would go every day. Moving around to music makes me feel better. After class, I headed straight home and was working on Walk Raffle baskets all day long. I have seven out of 13 completed. Though I take on wrapping them, my raffle chair, Carolyn, has been beyond helpful. She and I have walked practically hand in hand with each of these baskets. So I am proud to introduce you to our first seven below! It is with hopes that I will continue wrapping tomorrow.
Before I describe the baskets, I have to tell you that the permit discussion has continued today. In fact, my friend Tina directed me to her facebook page to read the string of messages on her site. Tina connected me with City Councilman, Justin Wilson yesterday, which has caused a cascade effect, and after my emails to various City Hall offices, they are seriously looking into the permit process and trying to revamp it. I not only feel like I was part of a healthy change process, but I am seeing government at its best. When you can reach out to a public official, have your concerns heard and addressed, and then this cause a reassessment and refinement of a process, it doesn't get better than that!
Here are the first seven baskets I wrapped today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Each of the baskets contains several items, but I will just list the bigger ticket items here for you. The minimum value of each of our baskets is $500, yet many are worth over $1000.
Miranda Lambert Basket
· 2 Tickets to WMZQ Fest on June 3, 2012 at Jiffy Lube Live; 2 CDs (Revolution and Four the Record)
Nationals Stadium – July 31 – first pitch at 7:05pm – when the Nationals take on the Phillies. Game package includes 4 Diamond Level seats with parking and Diamond Club and/or in-seat dining.
· Certificate for Day Sail on the Windemere (a 39 foot sailboat docked in Annapolis) ; Potomac River Boat Company – 4 See Alexandria by Water Seaport Cruise Tickets; Dandy Cruises - $100 Credit valid toward 4 course dinner for 2
1) Gadsby’s Tavern Museum – 8 Tickets for Museum + 8 Tickets for Sabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
2) Puppet Company Playhouse – 4 tickets to any show
3) Jeff Lubin Portrait Studio – Portrait Sitting & custom 11x14 marquis portrait ($1300 Value!)
4) 2 tickets to Little Theatre of Alexandria
5) Newseum – 4 General Admission Tickets
6) Spy Museum – 2 General Admission Tickets and Spy Store Discount Card
7) Kreeger Museum – 6 Admission Tickets
8) Mount Vernon Estate – Tour and Lunch for four people
1) Bittersweet Cafe and Catering - $25
2) Great American Restaurants Gift Certificate - $25
3) Mango Mike’s Restaurant Gift Certificate - $30
4) Bread and chocolate - 8" cake gift certificate
5) Caboose Bakery and Café Gift Certificate - $25
6) Gadsby’s Tavern – Dinner for 2 - $80
7) Season’s 52 Restaurant Gift Certificate - $100
8) PF Chang’s China Bistro Restaurant Gift Certificate - $100
9) Bilbo Baggins – Dinner for 2
1) 2 night stay at the Ritz Carlton New Orleans
2) $50 Gift Certificate to Commander’s Palace
3) $15 Gift Certificate for Café Du Monde Merchandise
4) 4 coupons for beignets, coffee, or hot chocolate from Café Du Monde