Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 26, 2012

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 -- Mattie died 146 weeks ago today.


Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2004. I snapped this photo of Mattie and Peter having a quiet moment together. There were SO few of those moments while raising Mattie. Mattie was constantly in motion and busy. But his antics always involved either me or Peter, which at the time seemed like a challenge. A challenge because the art of raising an only child (and yes this is an art!) is that you have to be the child's parent and in so many respects you are also your child's built in play mate. The funny part about parenthood is while going through it, I thought it was one of the hardest jobs I ever did. Caring, nurturing, educating, and helping Mattie grow and socialize were all daunting. But now looking back at it, with the knowledge I now have, I realize these were all normal and evolving challenges. Unlike our current situation.


Quote of the day: Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think. ~ La Bruyere

I began my day by driving out to Rockville, MD. At one of the recent childhood cancer events we have attended we connected with a national corporation who is interested in hearing more about Mattie Miracle and potentially getting involved in our events. After meeting several representatives from this corporation, I began an email dialogue with one of their managers and then sent her about five months worth of our e-newsletters to peruse through. After she read through them, she emailed me asking for a meeting. So naturally, I was very eager to accommodate her. We had a good chat today, and even brainstormed ideas and ways for her employees to potentially help us. I remain optimistic about this connection, and I realize we are engaged in a dance.

On my drive home, which takes me on major highways, I had some fascinating sightings! I first passed a beautiful buck by the side of the road. He was just watching cars zooming by, but I saw him, and had my eye on him in case he was planning on jumping onto the highway. However, by the time I switched over to the third highway on my journey, I was instantly surprised, because an amazing fawn, who looked just like Bambi, came bolting out of the bushes and came almost on the highway. It startled me because the last thing I want was to hit a baby deer. Nonetheless, seeing these beautiful creatures was a lovely surprise to my day, and naturally ones which made me reflect on Mattie.

For the past three weeks, Peter and I have been trying to convert our Internet connection from DSL to cable modem. It sounds easy enough.... you switch from one company to another. Well forget it! I have experienced all sorts of incompetency and unprofessional behavior over the last month, which makes me question how this particular company stays in business. They have frustrated me to NO end, so much so that I now know three managers in our regional office, and one in their corporate office. I have complained by phone and email, multiple times! That is how egregious their behavior is. Yesterday, I had a technician in our home for four hours. After her botched up installment, I did not have Internet access for 24 hours. Which is not a good thing for me, especially since I can't run the Foundation without connectivity. Finally today the issues were resolved, but not by this company, but by Peter. Thankfully one of us is technologically savvy and can install systems, because another 24 hours without connectivity, there would be no telling what I would have done with this company. All my complaining today amounted to one month of free service for us, which is the least they could do for us, after the headaches they have been causing me since June 10!

I would like to end tonight's posting with a message from my friend and colleague. Nancy wrote, "Each Tuesday marks another week without your precious Mattie. The end of preparation for the Walk and all of the aftermath is behind you and as you said this weekend, sometimes being alone is what we need to remember who we are. Mother’s Day and Father’s Day have passed and I was remiss to acknowledge Peter and you. In my heart and head, Mattie is your baby. You will always take care of him and when you spoke of his pictures in your wallet, I was reminded how important talking and showing our loved ones is for those left behind. Of course, when you speak of nature and finding pennies on the ground, one can think only of Mattie and his impact. I don’t think that I spoke of my feelings when you said how the Foundation has become your Mattie. It makes sense that you would be as proactive with the Foundation as you were with Mattie. He is the heart of the Foundation. He is your heart’s light. As today is upon you and you go for your walk, I know that images of Mattie will be all around you."

No comments: