Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 27, 2012

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2009, during Mattie's 7th birthday party at the Hospital. What I love about this picture was the whole scene. Mattie and his friends were wearing goggles because they were doing one of his favorite things.... excavating and chipping away through sand and clay to reveal plastic toy dinosaurs. You can almost sense the excitement and the intrigue in this picture. I will always remember this day as if it were yesterday.


Quote of the day: People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.  If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway. If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway. ~ Mother Teresa


What I love about Mother Teresa's quote is that doing good, being kind, honest, and forgiving, must come from within. We need to follow our instincts, even when perhaps the world around us doesn't support our motivations. At the end of the day, we have to be happy with ourselves and how we live our own lives.

In the course of today, I went to visit Ann's mom, Mary. Before I got to Mary's room, I bumped into Catherine. Catherine is another resident at Mary's assisted living facility who I have gotten to know. A few weeks ago, when I bumped into Catherine, who was recovering from a surgery, she had absolutely NO recognition of who I was. I was deeply saddened by this because she is one of the younger and more cognitively intact residents on the floor. When I saw Catherine in the hallway today, I could have easily passed her by without her noticing. But I didn't do that. I figured even if she didn't remember me, she would still appreciate talking to someone. So I went over to Catherine and said, "do you remember me?" With that, Catherine said, "of course Vicki I remember you!" It was a riot, because it was in that moment I saw the Catherine I used to know! I explained to her what happened a few weeks ago when I saw her and we got to talking today about her surgery and how it has impacted her memory. She is very frightened by these changes. We talked for about 20 minutes but I could tell she was getting tired, needed oxygen, and had to go back to her room. However, before we parted she began to cry. So I held her hand, continued to listen, and then told her that I do not think her life is meaningless. She is a bright woman who has been dealt a very hard plight in life. One I wish she did not have to experience. I could sense how alone and isolated she felt in her condition. While I was with Catherine, the activity coordinator for the facility came up to talk with us. Clearly Catherine was upset, but he proceeded to ask her how she was doing. I wanted to say.... are you kidding? How do you think she is doing! So she responded to him by saying, she got up and changed her clothes today. He did not know how to respond to that. So instead I stepped in and said, "Catherine, one must celebrate the small victories." With which she smiled and agreed.

Catherine in her own right is grieving. She may not be grieving the loss of a child, but she is grieving the loss of her mobility, her cognitive ability, and basically what she expected her life to be like. She told me that she has observed herself becoming a nasty person. She isn't happy about it and feels guilty as well. It is funny though how pain and grief can produce such horrible emotions. I see them within myself at times, which is why I feel I have a glimmer of insight into Catherine's situation right now.

After visiting with Catherine, I went in to see Mary. I was told that Mary was having a rather mute day. Yet when I walked into the room, she smiled and began talking. She saw that I had a bag with me filled with lotions. My nickname is apparently "the lotion lady," so I figure I better live up to my name. We chatted about all sorts of things today, read articles and looked at greeting cards she received. Toward the end of the evening, Mary thanked me for visiting her and reminded me that I am her "angel." I apparently have been her angel for a long time now. Which is touching. As I tell Mary often, we were meant to meet each other and help each other through our grief. Before I left, Mary wanted me to know that she prayed very hard for Mattie and was upset that he died, and then she began crying. So we talked about Mattie and "our boys." Our boys are comprised of all the men recently lost.... Mattie, Mary's son, Mary's husband, Mary's cousin, and Mary's brother. Mary's ultimate question is why weren't the prayers for any of "our boys" answered? An excellent question, and as I remind her, I have absolutely NO idea, and better yet I simply don't understand why or ever will.

Tomorrow Peter and I begin our journey to Cape Cod. However, instead of driving directly there, we will be spending the night outside of New York City, where we will be visiting with Karen and her mom. Peter and I will be staying at the hotel we had our wedding rehearsal dinner at, so in a way this will be quite a nostalgic visit.

No comments: