Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 23, 2012

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. This was before any of Mattie's limb salvaging surgeries. In fact, I would say this was probably the happiest we saw Mattie during his battle, because post-surgeries, life changed dramatically for him. His mobility was greatly impacted and this naturally affected how he felt about himself and others. I remember taking this picture of Mattie sitting on this foam puzzle, and even back then I entitled it, "Mattie is on top of the world." 


Quote of the day: The only way love can last a lifetime is if it's unconditional. The truth is this: love is not determined by the one being loved but rather by the one choosing to love. ~ Stephen Kendrick


I love tonight's quote because I feel all of us can relate to it in some shape or form. When we look at love in Kendrick's terms, love may not be as complex as we make it out to be. Mainly because in any relationship that involves love (not just romantic love) a great deal of the bond and connection is determined by the other person who chooses to love us. For love to work, it isn't only about our own feelings and investment in the relationship. Love must go both ways for it to work, and yet what is the key or secret to having a lifetime of love?

It can be harder to love people when you can't see them, spend time with them, or get feedback. Yet the love a parent has for a child I believe is quite different. All of this is not needed, because from the moment your child comes into your life, the love is unconditional and in our hearts we choose to love this being for a lifetime. To me, Kendrick's quote speaks to the reason why I write Mattie's blog. I do not sit and think about this motivation, but now that I am reflecting on tonight's quote, I realize Mattie's blog is the tangible by-product of my choosing to love him. Writing each day requires a certain level of discipline, commitment, and courage to express my thoughts and feelings to an audience. This determination to write at the core is based on my love for Mattie. When I lost Mattie to cancer, the cancer may prevent me from having a relationship with him, seeing him grow, and watching our love evolve, change, and solidify over time. Yet despite this horrific disease, it could never prevent me from being in control of my choice to love Mattie, of my decision to share his stories with all of you, and regardless of his lack of tangible love, I know his love still exists. It exists in every penny, butterfly, bug, and moon I see.  

No comments: