Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 6, 2013

Monday, April 6, 2013

Monday, April 6, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2004. Mattie was a fellow who loved things with WHEELS. Peter's parents gave Mattie this sit-on fire truck and as you can see Mattie wanted to do two things at once.... he wanted to grab a hold of the truck and also wanted to reach for the camera with its flash! Mattie was the ultimate multi-tasker!!!










Quote of the day: The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered...We know that. And yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human. But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. ~ Elizabeth Edwards


I never left our home today or actually moved from the computer. The last two weeks before the Foundation Walk are usually super hectic. This year proves to be the same and perhaps slightly worse. I have lost a couple of my steady volunteers this year and as such, I have picked up their tasks. Tasks they typically are working on for me. So it is Monday and I can already feel like I don't know if I am coming or going.


In the midst of working alone, by a computer, and non-stop today, I received this beautiful photo from Peter's mom. She went for a walk today around Horn Pond, a local pond near her home in Massachusetts. She shared this wonderful sighting with me and as soon as I saw it.... I immediately thought of Mattie! Mattie always loved seeing a mama duck with her ducklings. He always said that reminded him of us! If you look closely at this photo you can see the mama duck with 11 of her ducklings in tow. Mattie visited Horn Pond many a time when in Massachusetts and he loved all the wild life in and around the Pond. It is like our Roosevelt Island! Seeing this photo was a wonderful diversion today from the grey, cloudy, cool, and depressing weather Washington, DC is having! Not to mention a welcomed change from staring at words and Walk materials all day.

No comments: