Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 12, 2013

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 -- Mattie died 217 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2008. In the photo with Mattie and Peter is Debbie, Mattie's art teacher at his school. Debbie and Mattie planned a surprise birthday celebration for Peter. On the eve of Peter's birthday, I look at this photo and remember. Debbie gave us many wonderful memories, including Mattie's beautiful "Mr. Sun" painting. Debbie and Mattie frosted this cake and Mattie was very proud of this accomplishment. It was the last Peter birthday celebration we had and now somehow birthdays do not have the same meaning for us.


Quote of the day: We cannot tell the exact moment a friendship is formed; as in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses, there is at last one that makes the heart run over. ~ Gloria Naylor


I honestly have to empty out my car's trunk each day because guess what??? I keep filling it up. After zumba class today, I headed to my friend Heidi's home. Heidi and her family have been busy collecting and sorting candy! More keeps coming in and I am just so thankful that Heidi has taken on sorting her huge collection. A great gift to me! Mind you I picked up over 40 pounds of candy from Heidi last week. This was today's collection and my final Heidi collection is coming to me on Friday. Get the picture???? It is a lot of candy!!!


Here is a photo of our youngest Mattie Miracle Candy Drive sorter. This is Abbie and she is 11 years old. Abbie is my friend Ann's daughter. Abbie and I have a history together because while Mattie was battling cancer, she and Mattie became close friends. It is an interesting commentary because while I had Ann, Mattie had Abbie. Abbie was a loyal buddy and was never phased coming to the hospital, seeing the big iv machines, or even experiencing Mattie's ups and downs. It seems very symbolic that Abbie is now participating in our drive in this way.
 
Tonight's quote I think is quite meaningful and beautiful. The analogy of a cup running over because it is filled with drops of liquid, is a bit like the making of a lasting friendship. Over time enough trust and kindness builds up that it establishes a very special bond. I had the wonderful opportunity to connect with two such friends today and the fascinating part about being in such presence is it makes me appreciate my good health, my ability to walk, and live an independent life. We take such things for granted and yet daily there are people struggling with horrific diseases and illnesses. May we never walk away from those in need, who need kindness, compassion, and our understanding. I have learned in life that it is only through truly giving of yourself that you receive the greatest gifts life has to offer....... the love of another person.

No comments: