Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 11, 2014

Friday, July 11, 2014

Friday, July 11, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. Mattie was home from the hospital and unfortunately this was how Mattie moved around after his surgeries, which were performed in October and November of 2008 to remove his bone tumors. Not only did he not move around well, he basically was quite impaired. Mattie could no longer just stand up and walk. Instead, he would basically slide down the couch and crawl along the floor. However, most of the times, one of us carried him around which was challenging considering he had IVs attached to him and a central line connected to his chest. Accepting Mattie's physical limitations were painful, but the psychological consequences this all had on his daily life were heart wrenching for an active seven year old boy. Which was why as Mattie's cancer journey continued he isolated himself from others in his life. He saw himself as different and being around healthy children and people on the "outside" (not in the hospital or dealing with cancer) made him very sad. 


Quote of the day: I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you. Friedrich Nietzsche


I have been contending with licensure board issues all summer. Unexpected issues that fell onto my plate and today we had another meeting. That is two this week alone. Nietzsche's quote is apropos for today! I can't discuss the issues I am dealing with, but I found out a great many things today that were upsetting. Particularly as it related to the trust and confidence that I placed into the people I have worked with over the years. I pride myself on being a good judge of character and today was a real eye opener. I have misjudged a group of people I have trusted for close to six years. In particular, the worst part is this group took advantage of my situation when Mattie got sick with cancer and I wasn't around as much to give oversight and direction. I am sure this is confusing to read about and unfortunately I can't write much more about it here. Needless to say after this meeting I thought my head was going to explode. 

While this nightmare of a meeting was going on, I kept my friend Linda waiting for me for lunch. Since we had a licensure meeting earlier in the week, I did not think today's meeting would be as long. My mistake! Thankfully Linda is not only a good soul, but she has great patience and understanding. Because I kept her waiting an hour. I do not think I would have been as forgiving as her! Thankfully though Linda waited for me, since the afternoon of conversation and friendship made up for quite a morning. 

No comments: