Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 8, 2014

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 -- Mattie died 252 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2002. Mattie was three months old and doing something he really did not care for.... which was lying on his back. He tolerated that slightly more than tummy time, which he absolutely despised! Mattie spent the first six months of his life sleeping on my shoulder. When he wasn't on my shoulder, he was sleeping in his car seat. But he was always upright. The joke that Peter and I always had was Mattie practically vomited on every floor in our home. His output was almost as fast as the input! Which is why keeping him upright may have been a more comfortable position for him in the long run, but it was what Mattie gravitated to, and given that he could cry for hours, he conditioned us well to follow his needs. 


Quote of the day: One of the greatest barriers to connection is the cultural importance we place on "going it alone." Somehow we've come to equate success with not needing anyone. Many of us are willing to extend a helping hand, but we're very reluctant to reach out for help when we need it ourselves. It's as if we've divided the world into "those who offer help" and "those who need help." The truth is that we are both. ~ BrenĂ© Brown


I would have to say that Brene Brown's quote most definitely applies to me in that I view myself more as a helper than a person who likes to ask for help. She maybe correct, there may be a perception issue about asking for help, in that I may not look competent in the area I am deemed the so called expert. There are so many reasons why we do not ask for help from others, and I suspect trust in those around us also comes into play. But with regard to the two issues today, I knew I needed help. One issue was regarding my licensure board. I can't go into the specific issue because of ethical reasons, but despite being the chair of this professional board, I knew it was important to take my vice chair to this meeting. My vice chair is a male, he is a clinician with years of experience and I also know there is strength in numbers. Together we would serve as a unified force. Not that I can't hold my own, but we are much stronger together and I was happy I asked for his help today. So that was my first observation for the day. The second observation was regarding the book chapter. I continue to be hitting my head against a wall, figuratively, not literally, and decided to just make sure that my frustration with the lack of research that I am finding is the reality and that I am not missing something. So I contacted two of the psychologists that I am working with on this book project to just verify my concerns. After all, the psychosocial care of children with cancer is their area of expertise, not mine. 

I think reaching out to others in the end and getting help is always the sign of maturity, of health, and also of being an effective leader. No one can know everything, and if anyone thinks they do that should also be a red flag. Life is about constantly learning, redefining one's self, and being open to other people's thoughts, knowledge, and expertise. I think at times I can find that Mattie's cancer has caused me to want to insulate myself from the world and others, but today showed me that at times we really do need to all work together. 

No comments: