Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 4, 2015

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2002. Mattie was seven months old and was always intrigued by books. He loved looking at the pictures and hearing stories. Mattie loved to be talked to, to hear conversations, and wanted to be a part of all engagements with people. In kindergarten, his teachers thought it was a riot that he would use words like.... "apparently" and make observations of others and so forth. But in so many ways, I think Mattie was very sensitive to his environment, to those around him, and in a way understood he on some level he did not have much time with us, and therefore really packed a lot into his seven short years with us. 


Quote of the day: Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way. ~ Abraham Lincoln




This morning as I was working at my desk in Mattie's room, I happened to look away from my computer and out the window. To my amazement, I saw this beautiful Gold Finch. I can assure you that such a sight is very unusual on our deck. 

On Tuesday when I went to Georgetown Hospital and bumped into Jey, "Mattie's big brother" he was telling me his philosophy on birds. He feels that birds are the one constant in our lives. That no matter what season it is, every morning they greet us and are outside singing away. That is quite true. To Jey, he thinks about birds as being our deceased loved ones talking to us. It was a beautiful visual. Since I am the dedicated bird woman for our complex, feeding hundreds of birds in the winter, I relate to this notion that Jey shared with me. In any case, as I saw this gold finch today, I couldn't help but think about what Jey told me and of course think about Mattie. It was an unusual bird to see in the city and I feel this bright and bold cutie was sending me a message.

Tonight's pictures from the Foundation Walk feature a few spirit type walk photos. During the challenge walk, our DJ played a few songs like YMCA and the chicken dance in which we encouraged people to act silly while walking around the track and doing their laps. As you can see from this group of women, they had their hands up in the air to symbolize the "Y" in YMCA! 

This young girl was captured showing her spirit during the "chicken dance" song! I am not sure what I love better, her smile or her flapping!
















This photo says it all...... I love the chicken flapping! Now that is spirit!!! 




















This is Grace and Christopher. Grace is a mom that I know from Mattie's preschool. She is also the mom of Abbie. I posted of photo of Abbie on last night's blog holding a caterpillar she found on the track in Mattie's honor!

Grace was doing her "Y" during the YMCA spirit song around the track!



Though this isn't a spirit photo, I happen to love it. It captures a different type of spirit! Peter was carrying our fresh Hawaiian leis (flowers which we gave to our 11 Mattie Miracle workers, women who were our top fundraisers at the Walk) across the track and our photographer snapped this photo. 














In attendance at our Walk was Dr. Lori Wiener and her husband, Sylvan. Lori heads our National Psychosocial Standards of Care project and we were thrilled she was able to participate in our event. I think it is important for our attendees and supporters to be able to interact with the key people that our funds support. Which is why it was great that Lori was there as well as all the Child Life staff from Georgetown University Hospital. 



No comments: