Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 17, 2015

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 -- Mattie died 322 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken on November 12, 2015. This was us early in the morning (before 6am) in the pre-op area, awaiting Mattie's second surgery. That surgery was long and grueling, since it involved removing his left arm bone, right leg bone, and wrist bone. Replacing them with prosthetics. It was a TEN HOUR surgery, plus several hours in the post anesthesia recovery unit. It seemed ENDLESS and torture. However, whatever fear we had about the surgery, quickly dissipated  when we saw the trauma and pain he experienced post-surgery. 


Quote of the day:  A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. Steve Maraboli


On Wednesday I will be undergoing surgery for the precancerous mass that was found in my breast on October 30. It has been quite a two weeks! I am not sure if the candy drive has been a blessing or a curse during all of this. But after the surgery I am not allowed to lift anything heavy for at least a week. So I knew that I had to get it into gear and start sorting candy and delivering it before Wednesday. We still have MUCH more to do, but I got 1,800 pounds of candy distributed, which is quite an accomplishment. Because it involved hauling candy, sorting it, and driving all over the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area. As this photo shows, this is the amount of candy I have left in our home. The rest of it is at my friend Ann's house. Since she is our drop off location in Virginia. In comparison to the amount we started with in our home, this bunch looks much more reasonable! 

I have to report to the Hospital admissions area tomorrow at 9am. NOT my favorite area. I can't tell you HOW MANY times I went there with Mattie. Despite him being a repeat customer, we still had to go through the admissions process every time. Each time we did, it was as if no one knew us. It was an odd and frustrating experience, of which I complained about the process after Mattie died. When you have a sick child in tow, the admission process has to be streamlined!

So I check in at 9, and then at 11am, a radiologist works with me to guide a wire through my skin into the mass. This guide wire assists the surgeon. My issue with this, is the wire is inserted while I am conscious. They give you a local anesthetic, but the notion isn't comforting. Then the surgery begins at noon. It is supposed to be an hour long, with two hours in recovery. So that is the plan. I try not to dwell on it, because if I focus on it, my anxiety builds. I do not go into any hospital or procedure without Mattie in mind. When the hospital did a pre-surgery screening call with me, they asked me if I ever had chemotherapy. My response to the caller was, does watching my child endure chemotherapy count? I wasn't trying to be facetious but when your child faces something, a part of you does as well. But naturally I understand my immunity has not been compromised like Mattie's.


I spent the day running around town delivering and picking up candy. My delivery today was to this wonderful Mystery Machine. This van belongs to Special Love for Children with Cancer. They are a non-profit which we support through our candy drive. Angela Ashman, Special Love's program director, met me today as we transferred 500 pounds of candy into the van. People all around us were fascinated by the process in the parking lot and one fellow even snapped a photo! All I could think of when seeing this van, was Mattie. Mattie loved Scooby Doo, in which the Mystery Machine was featured in the series. Mattie even had a plastic Mystery Machine on his birthday cake one year. He LOVED Scooby Doo that much. When Mattie battled cancer, he watched every Scooby Doo episode and movie possible. It was the only thing that engaged him and brought him some happiness. So Scooby Doo means a lot to me. 

Angela snapped a photo of me with the 500 pounds of candy in the Mystery Machine. 














I also met with my college roommate and friend, Leslie today. Leslie coordinates our candy drive in Maryland.... she collected this candy from B'nai Shalom of Olney, the American Bankers Association in DC, and The Aspen Hill Club in Rockville, MD. Leslie gave me 700 pounds of candy today, of which she sorted it as well. Which is a labor of love!

No comments: