Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 18, 2018

Monday, June 18, 2018

Monday, June 18, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2008. It was a typical occurrence for us to walk Roosevelt Island every weekend. Mattie was happiest when he was outside. Notice the red Lightning McQueen toy car he was holding. Classic Mattie..... as he always went out on walks with something in his hands. 


Quote of the day: If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath. ~ Amit Ray


Today I went for an MRI of my hip. I have been dealing with constant pain for over two months now. Before I went to South Carolina, I saw an orthopedist who did an x-ray of my hip. The scan showed a large calcification in my hip and apparently this can signify an injury. Since I have no recollection of such an incident to cause an injury I am perplexed. But without anti-inflammatory meds I wouldn't have survived the Walk or going away. So to find out exactly what we are dealing with I had to take an MRI today. I get the results on Friday when I see the doctor. I am hoping for tendinitis and not something that requires surgery. 

While I was in this tube today for 20 minutes, I couldn't help but pause and think of Mattie. He coped with countless MRIs and the whole notion of seeing the scanner sent him right into a panic. Which was why Mattie had to be sedated for every scan, making scanning days a production because Mattie did not wake up happy from sedation. Sedation typically left Mattie angry and aggressive. While hearing the very loud noises within the MRI, I tried to imagine what it is like for any patient worried about a cancer diagnosis. The fear of such a diagnosis is intense and then compound to it with very loud noises for a prolonged period of time, and you have the perfect recipe for anxiety. Ironically while thinking about Mattie and our experiences with MRIs, I could feel myself getting anxious toward the end of the scan. Yet you have to remain perfectly still and in the same position, otherwise it screws up the test. 

What this reminds me once again is that Mattie may not be alive and we may not be actively coping with cancer, however, cancer and its ramifications continue to be a part of our lives. Mattie's cancer has changed me as a person.... from what interests me to how I function, think, and feel. Of course no one talks about these long term psychosocial consequences on family members, but they are real and not just a Vicki/Peter thing. 

No comments: