Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 2, 2019

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2008. Mattie was six years old and doing one of his FAVORITE spring time activities. Which was bringing home tent moth caterpillars from school, putting them in jar, taking care of them and feeding them until they formed a cocoon. Once the moths emerged from their cocoons, we would have a moth releasing ceremony on our deck. We did this for at least three years in a row. I figured it was a great way to actively participate in science and learn a life cycle. To this day, we have moths that come back and visit us on the deck. I am sure this is  just coincidence, but I would like to think these are Mattie's moths coming back to say hello. 


Quote of the day: A single act of kindness is like a drop of oil on a patch of dry skin—seeping, spreading, and affecting more than the original need. ~ Richelle E. Goodrich



For the past week, Peter and I have been working on signage for the Walk on May19th. Given that it is our 10th anniversary Walk, I believe it is important to highlight our accomplishments and to visually convey to our attendees what we do and what they help to fund. 

We created close to 30 new posters which will be featured at the Walk. This being one of them! 


Tomorrow I head to the printer to discuss how to get these images made into posters. I have been working with the same printer since 2009, when we started the Foundation. How do I know this company? Well the wife of the founder of the company used to sit next to me every Tuesday during chapel at Mattie's school. We truly met by happenstance, but we had a lot in common as we were raising an only child, who was a son, and neither of us had family living locally. My friend is very down to earth and very modest, because it was only after Mattie died did I realize her company is international and is a multi-million dollar business. It is thanks to my friend that we have incredible posters at each Walk. Her work is beautifully done and the posters always make our event look quite unique. 


Here's today's fundraising thermometer...... we are at  $83,975. Or at 84% of our goal. 

I had the opportunity to chat with a supporter today. She wanted to know how we go about fundraising because she was impressed with our progress. Which is ironic, because I always ask myself why we can't seem to raise more money each year? In any case, I do admit that we are able to raise money more easily now than when we first started ten years ago. The main reason I believe people donate is that we are transparent about where the money goes and the money goes directly to supporting our services to assist children with cancer and their families. 

No comments: