Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 31, 2020

Friday, January 31, 2020

Friday, January 31, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken on January 31, 2009. Hard to believe 11 years ago today, when it seems like yesterday. We took Mattie out to lunch with my parents. Ironically prior to getting cancer, Mattie never wanted to sit still at a table and eat. However, given the disease and how it limited his physical abilities, Mattie had to learn to do sedentary things. He may have been sedentary, but that did not mean his brain and personality were inactive. On the contrary, Mattie was always on and engaging!


Quote of the day: Moving doesn't change who you are. It only changes the view outside your window. ~ Rachel Hollis


Though tonight's quote maybe true, I do think we are influenced by where we live and what surrounds us. As we move from one place to another, we are exposed to different thoughts, people, and experiences (good and bad) and they influence who we are and who we can become. For example, I will never forget moving from New York to California when I was entering 10th grade of high school, I was 14 years old. Funny how a grown adult can remember the experience of a move, but I do, as I never fit into life in California and as such, there were challenges that I had to overcome. In fact, I learned first hand how difficult it was to enter a school in which most of the kids knew each other since kindergarten, gave me insights into how to treat people. I never like to see someone ostracized or sitting alone, if they want to be part of a group. I learned that act of inclusion the hard way, when such kindness was not shown to me. 

After high school, I moved back to New York. Upstate NY, to be more precise, to attend college. The view outside my dorm window was quite different from California. As upstate NY was cold and we even experienced snow in October. I will never forget seeing this first snowfall in my freshman year of college. However, to me moving is much more complex than your visual surroundings. It was within college that I joined choir and through that activity I met Peter. My point being that when the view outside your window changes, chances are the view inside your room does too. 

I could go on and on with my experiences on moving, but I guess the bottom line is our surroundings are much more than just our view. Our surroundings define us because within those surroundings are our friends, colleagues, and neighbors. It is people and our experiences with them that influence our feelings, attitudes, and thoughts. 

No comments: