Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 28, 2023

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Tuesday, March 28, 2023 -- Mattie died 704 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2005. Mattie was almost three years old and that day he was invited over to his Aunt and Uncle's home to participate in an Easter Egg Hunt. Behind Mattie is his cousin, Will. It is hard to believe that Will is graduating from college this year, and yet in my mind Mattie is forever 7.

Quote of the day: We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up, seeing it is not as dreadful as it appeared, discovering we have the strength to stare it down. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt


It was another fun day on the Farm. To add to the complexity of the day, I had a conference call at 11am. If people could see me minutes before a call, they may wonder how on earth I am pulling all of this off! Or look composed on a call! I wonder myself some days. I am so tired, it is hard to get out of bed in the morning. But I do it and I am thankful that Sunny has been compliant with eating and taking his pills while Peter has been gone. As I get up an extra 30 minutes early to manage Sunny and Indie's needs when it is just me at home. 

This afternoon, I took my parents out to lunch. It is our main meal of the day. When Peter is gone, we go out every day, otherwise, we are couped up at home all day long and it helps to see other people and be out and about. Otherwise, the isolation is intense. Eating with my dad is neither pleasant at home or out in a restaurant. No matter how early I take him out, he is a zombie at the table and looks like he is going to fall asleep! Yet he wants to go out to eat. In fact, that is the first question he asks me when I wake him up in the morning..... are we going out to eat? You would think I am a horrible cook given his desire to always go out. 

While at the restaurant, there was an adult daughter sitting with her parents right next to us. I couldn't help but hear her conversation. Mainly because she was shouting. She went off on a diatribe about how she doesn't believe in God, actually hates the notion of God, and faith is only a feeling and not based on science. Her parents had no response, as clearly the father was embarrassed by her screaming. Given all I have faced so far in life, I can absolutely appreciate why someone would question God, or even doubt his existence. In fact, I think God understands human frailty and our need to question and understand things we can't see and measure. Having a child diagnosed with cancer and then die, has caused me to question God, his ways, and his intentions. But being a cradle Catholic (someone who has grown up and been Catholic all one's life), I do not doubt God's existence. Cancer has not changed that reality for me. 

That said, given my personal experiences with trauma and loss, when I hear comments like I heard today from this woman, my reaction was..... there is a reason she feels this way. I don't judge her in any way, as spirituality is a personal component of one's life. But sure enough, as she was getting up from the table, I could then immediately see... she is a caregiver to TWO older adults. Her dad had a physical disability and her mother literally acted just like my father. I have no idea whether she believed in God ever, but I do think caring for older adults all day long, especially those with dementia, can make you absolutely unhappy, question life, its purpose, meaning, and in the process you lose your identity and hope for the future. 

No comments: