Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 1, 2023

Saturday, April 1, 2023

Saturday, April 1, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2004. Mattie was almost two years old. For the life of me, I can't recall who gave Mattie these collapsible structures. All I remember though was Mattie loved them. That day, he took them out to our deck to play. It is amazing, this deck space wasn't that big, yet I can't tell you all the things we did on it. Which reminds me it is not the space that produces the fun and imagination, it's what is inside of us that counts. Mattie surely illustrated this!


Quote of the day: He who believes is strong; he who doubts is weak. Strong convictions precede great actions. ~ Louisa May Alcott


After my dad's physical therapist left this morning, I did some spring cleaning. Peter emptied our baker's rack in the kitchen and took all the plants we keep on it outside. He transplanted all the plants and put them in new terracotta pots! Peter bought pots in the Mattie Miracle color theme of red, orange, and yellow.

I should have taken a before photo, because every flower pot on the rack was DIFFERENT and nothing went together. I think it will look very nice now with a color theme. But every wrought iron shelf needed cleaning from plant debris and dust. 

My transplanted green friends, waiting to come back inside! Some of these plants I have had for decades. Like my spider plants. In fact, when I moved into my apartment years ago in Boston, a spider plant was left behind. Over the years, I would take a piece of the plant and let it develop roots in water, and then plant it. So these are descendants of that original spider plant. 

After 35 days away from a restaurant we used to visit weekly in Rockville, MD, we returned today. We have been away from the restaurant because both of my parents were ill. It took my mom about twenty days to return back to her health and then after that she did not feel up to dealing with the traffic and long commute to Maryland. 

In a way, it was like a reunion today! Dawn, who is an outstanding server, surprised us with a flowering plant and a bag filled with big chocolate chip cookies for my dad. The managers gave us a big greeting, treated us to dessert, and came over to chat and check in with us throughout the meal. It was very nice to know that they missed seeing us and it made me feel special. I am very grateful to all the servers and managers who take care of us, because my parents have many special needs and requests. The servers also appreciate me and the role I play, and they realize going out to eat IS MY social life. So they don't just serve us, but we share updates with each other about our weeks, our thoughts and feelings, and over time I consider each of them to be a friend.  

No comments: