Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 14, 2023

Monday, August 14, 2023

Monday, August 14, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken on August 9, 2009, four days after we found out that Mattie's cancer was terminal. Mattie requested that Peter put up his big outdoor tent in our living room. I am quite sure under normal circumstances I wouldn't have been keen on this tent taking up our first floor. But it is ironic how cancer turns your priorities around and quickly. Within the tent we put aero-mattresses, and Mattie and I slept in there for a few nights. What you can't see were the multiple IVs attached to Mattie, including a pain pump. Peter apparently snapped this photo of us while we were sleeping and it captured our sheer exhaustion. 


Quote of the day: When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt


Despite the chaos of my life, I tried to make my parent's 63rd wedding anniversary special. I started their day out with a bouquet of flowers. Then I took my mom to DC to have her hair and nails done, while my dad was at the memory care center. 

Then I drove back to pick up my dad, and then turned around and drove to Maryland to take them out to eat for their anniversary. Needless to say, I probably drove about four hours today!

Dawn, one of the special servers in our life, got my parents a balloon, card, flowers, and a cake. She made them feel very special. 
The three of us!













Their cake!
The card was charming and it read.... I am never not thinking of you!
Meanwhile, the  battle continues. My dad is constantly scratching his skin. If there is a fly or mosquito around he gets bitten. My dad is rarely outside and typically he has his fleece jacket on (yes even in the summer, as he is always cold) and long pants and socks. Despite that, he gets bitten and with his dementia, he fixates on his bites and scratches constantly. Mind you we bought UV sport sleeves and have them on his arms. That doesn't matter, he scratches right through the material. Tonight he was bleeding and I sent photos to the doctor. When I tell you I am at my wit's end, I am NOT kidding. I have been at it with his skin and scratching for over a month. His left arm is healing, his left foot is a mess and now we have a brand new problem on his right arm!

No comments: