Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 17, 2023

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. Mattie had just begun cancer treatment. That day, he took JJ (our resident Jack Russell Terrier) out for a walk with Peter and JJ's owner. Mattie always wanted a dog, and unfortunately he never experienced the joy of having a dog in the family. Nonetheless, our neighbor visited us often with JJ, so much so, that I always said that Mattie and JJ grew up together. When Mattie died, JJ was a mess. He came down to our front door of our townhouse and sat on our door mat every afternoon. In addition, he went on a hunger strike and also took one of Mattie's sandals and slept with it in his doggie bed. There is something to be said about the bond between a child and a dog. 

Quote of the day: Cooking is a bit like cinema. It’s the emotion that counts. ~ Anne-Sophie Pic


It was a complete juggling act today. I had to go to my endocrinology appointment, while my dad was having physical therapy at home. The endocrinology appointment was fascinating. I decided to tell the doctor all that I am managing at home. The doctor is over ten years older than me, but she revealed that both of her parents had dementia too. However, both were institutionalized. She had NO IDEA how on earth I have been managing this in my own house and doing all the caregiving myself. 

But back to the appointment, I gave it to this doctor regarding her incompetent nurse. The nurse and I have been having arguments over the phone, because she needed to call my health insurer to secure the Prolia shot for me and to get it delivered to the doctor's office. Needless to say, the nurse was dragging her feet and finally I told the nurse on the phone.... DO YOUR JOB! However, because I had no confidence in this nurse, I had Peter intervene, as he knows exactly how to work to the system in order to talk to the correct health insurer people. In any case, CIGNA is indeed covering my medication. 

However, when I went to the office today to get my Prolia shot, NO SHOT was available. The nurse and doctor started in with me again that my insurance will not cover the drug. I told them that isn't correct as I spoke to CIGNA myself. I told them the issue is on their end. I wasn't backing down, and guess who was correct? That is right, ME! I then went on to tell the doctor that her nurse needs an attitude adjustment, as patients are coming to them for help. Patients like me are balancing the healthcare of two other people and I am lucky I am coming to the office at all to manage my own health. Therefore, it would be nice to have someone advocate for me for a change. She heard me loud and clear. 

When I got home from my appointment, this is what I saw! My dad was luggage all day. I would like to say this was due solely to therapy, but I would be wrong. The reality is that I see a massive decline in him this week.
Tonight's table!
On my buffet tonight was:
  • Balsamic Chicken
  • Ratatouille
  • Gourmet Couscous with mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes and arugula
  • Broccoli with lemon zest
These are our friends Ilona and Attila, they too have lost their only child to cancer. We met in July of 2013, and have been friends ever since. It was Ilona's idea to connect with another couple who lost an only child, and our fellow physician introduced us ten years ago. I am so glad she did. But truthfully it is hard to imagine we have known each other for a decade and that our children have been gone from our lives this long. 

Tomorrow is Ilona's birthday, so we celebrated it this evening. I made a homemade peach cobbler, with peaches from the farmer's market. It was a wonderful recipe
Peter's parents visited us last October 2022. When they come into town, I try to do special things. Since we can no longer go touring around, I decided to host two dinners instead. 


No comments: