Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 19, 2023

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Tuesday, September 19, 2023 -- Mattie died 729 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. We were in New York City, in order to consult with another cancer institution about Mattie's treatment plan. In between appointments, we went touring around the city. As you can see, we took Mattie to the famous FAO Schwarz. I would say this was about the only thing that day that made him smile! 

Quote of the day: The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living.Marcus Tullius Cicero


At noon, I took my parents to the pharmacy so we all could get flu shots. Prior to my parents moving in with us, I never got a flu shot. I found in the past that this shot would make me feel so sick that I was unable to function for days after receiving it. However, now that I need to be healthy and function, and my parents are frail and my mom is immunocompromised, I decided last year to get the flu shot annually. I figure even if I get the flu now, perhaps my symptoms will be more mild. 

I honestly did not know whether we were going to make our noon appointment on time given that my dad was running to the bathroom with diarrhea. His bowel movements yesterday were so intense, I would have thought that he wouldn't go for two days or more. But that isn't how his system works. Of course while I am running around doing all the chores, tasks, and caring for everyone, my mom was complaining. Well that is until I started screaming at her. Truly sometimes the only way to get her to STOP with her lament is to scream. I don't like doing it, but she has a real lack of insight into her behavior. 

We did get the shots and almost immediately my mom and I got intense head pain. I am used to daily headaches, so I plowed through that feeling, but it was noticeable and it lasted for several hours. I truly felt like my head was in a vice and I felt foggy at the same time. Whereas my dad has developed nausea and I am monitoring him even now at 6pm in the evening. 

While I am typing this, both of my parents are resting and seem wiped out. I of course do not need one more thing to knock me out. So my goal is to dial it back tonight and try to have a slower evening. 

No comments: