Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 14, 2023

Thursday, December 14, 2023

Thursday, December 14, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2003. Mattie was a year and a half old and spending Christmas with my parents in Los Angeles. My parents set up a room in the house for Mattie to play, to have all his toys, and videos. As you can see, back then my dad was alert and animated. He and Mattie were singing along to a video and naturally Mattie's sippy cup wasn't far away! That cup was connected to Mattie at all hours of the day and my joke was that Mattie consumed so much milk that we should have invested in a cow. 


Quote of the day: I could not count the times during the average day when something would come up that I needed to tell him. This impulse did not end with his death. What ended was the possibility of response. ~ Joann Didion


It was another crazy day on the farm. I did my usual routine of getting up early and managing my dad. At 10:30am, my dad's physical therapist came, and while she was working with him, I went grocery shopping. I have been able to secure a script for my dad to receive physical therapy at his memory care center. So now he will get PT four times a week. I know my dad isn't looking forward to this but I need him to be able to walk, climb steps, and sit and stand. There is nothing to hold my dad back physically other than his desire to be sedentary. I know I can't fight this battle alone, which is why I am grateful to have the support of wonderful physical therapists. 

In the early afternoon, I had a Foundation board meeting. I have to say I am not a big fan of ZOOM and on-line platforms, but it certainly streamlines the process when schedules are busy and we are all in different locations. I truly credit my years of experience working on the licensure board to my abilities now to create an agenda, lead a meeting, try to be open to all ideas, feedback, and input. I really miss my days on the licensure board, but those skills are never lost. Instead, they are applied to my Mattie Miracle role, which is other than raising Mattie, the most important job I have ever had! Thankfully I have an amazing board committed to our work and our success. 

After the call, I ran around doing chores and then took my parents out for a bit to eat. Once home, I helped my mom process bills and manage her accounts. All I know is over the course of the last couple of months, I have had to learn so many news things, and though I could puddle in the corner, I don't! I know people rely on me and there is no other greater motivator for me. If I know my presence is necessary in order to help someone, I will rise to the occasion every time. 

No comments: