Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 16, 2023

Saturday, December 16, 2023

Saturday, December 16, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2003. This was Mattie's first pony ride. It took place at Griffith Park in Los Angeles. I was so nervous about Mattie going on a pony, that Peter walked right besides Mattie. Mind you Mattie was strapped in as was the horse. But I was always cautious and anxious he could get hurt and tried to mitigate anything from happening. Which is ironic, because what I couldn't control, was his cancer diagnosis and death.  


Quote of the day: Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim. ~ Vicki Harrison


Today felt like spring! While my dad was working with his physical therapist, I decided to begin winterizing our roses and our crape myrtle trees. I was on a roll. I literally filled up a large garbage bin with greens, then moved onto filling up three large bags. The amount I did today was incredible. I even did clippings of dead bushes. It was a large undertaking but since the weather was glorious, it was wonderful to be outside, to be away from conversation and other demands. I don't think Sunny was happy, since he did not get a walk in, but he stayed close to me and monitored my progress. 

When I got back inside, I did my usual chores, and then got my parents up, moving, and in the car. We went to the Cheesecake Factory tonight, because I was not going to cook after the intense workout I just had. We had a lovely server tonight, who was patient and truly professional. My dad dropped his napkin on the floor countless times. Each time the server picked it up and got him a fresh one. Very thoughtful. Needless to say at the end of the meal the server thanked us for being so kind and giving him positive feedback. He says he works full time and goes to school and sometimes it is hard to remember that having a positive attitude really can make a difference to his customers. I told him his energy was very much appreciated and what this reminded me is everyone needs to feel appreciated, to feel like they have a purpose. Such feedback can transform someone's day, as this server told me tonight. 

No comments: