Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 19, 2011

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2006. Mattie was almost four years old, and was in preschool at the time. In front of Mattie, you will see the gingerbread houses he and his classmates decorated in preschool that day (gingerbread houses that I made and assembled by hand). He was very excited that he got to take home the finished products! What captured my attention about this picture, was the purple balloon Mattie was holding! Some of you may recall my story over Christmas time about the purple balloon that magically appeared on our deck. In the cold of winter, we never expected to see a purple balloon just sitting out there, right next to Speedy Red. But there it was. Peter actually brought the purple balloon into our home while I was in California. Needless to say this purple balloon is still inflated in our living room, and just sits there looking at us. It seems very ironic to me that I would spot this picture tonight, and what are the chances out of all the balloons that could land up on our deck, it would be a purple one?!

Quote of the day: Death ends a life, not a relationship. ~ Jack Lemmon



Though I considered Jack Lemmon a wonderful comedic actor, his quote is quite serious and very meaningful. Mattie's death ended his physical presence in our lives, but the fact of the matter is he is my son, and will always be. That relationship began the moment I found out I was pregnant with him. I still recall the first sonogram picture I had of Mattie. The ironic part was his profile in the sonogram picture matched the real boy who entered the world months later. Peter and I fell in love with just a sonogram picture, and even though it is almost nine years later, I can distinctly recall that we plastered that picture everywhere in excitement. Sorry, I couldn't help it! I posted it here too!


Today turned out to be a day I hadn't quite expected. Mainly because by the end of the day I was actually productive and focused. When I stepped outside today, it was warmer than it had been for days. Not the kind of day I was expecting in January. I met up with Ann and we actually walked and shopped in Old Town Alexandria. Which is a very charming area, on a good weather day. During our journey, we stopped for lunch, and as we were talking, Ann happened to look outside and then motioned to me to look out the window. Passing right by us was Katie, Zachary's mom. Zachary was Mattie's closest preschool friend, they were inseparable together. Katie came inside the restaurant and we all had a good time chatting and catching up. Talk about chance occurrences.

At lunch, Ann asked me about the upcoming Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Walk. This dialogue got me talking about the ideas Peter and I have been brainstorming, and basically by the time I finished, Ann was strategizing how these ideas were going to get addressed and brought to life. I sometimes can get bogged down with thoughts and feelings especially as it relates to events honoring Mattie's memory. However, in Ann's subtle (or not so subtle ways), she enabled me today to take one step forward, which was what I needed to get started. By the time I got home this evening, I had a lot to talk to Peter about, and then began sending out e-mails and connecting with others. Others, are key, because Peter and I can't do this Walk alone, and fortunately we have a team of incredible people and friends to turn to. So I began the process tonight. Needless to say, when I left our home today, I did not imagine I was going to come home this motivated.


I also received two lovely email messages, that made me smile and I wanted to share them with you. A fellow elementary school mom, Sue, emailed me the other day. Sue was active in Team Mattie and is active in our Foundation. She has served as the co-chair of our children's activities at the Walk for the past two years. Sue wrote, "I just want to touch base and let you know that the SSSAS Brownie troops (2342 which is made up of Mattie's 3rd grade classmates, and troop 3969 which is the 2nd grade troop) have chosen the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation as one of the recipients for proceeds from our cookie sales. The girls are excited to sell cookies knowing that a portion of the proceeds will benefit Mattie's foundation."

The second email was from my friend and colleague, Susan. Susan visited Mattie many times in the hospital, and she understood him. Susan became famous in Mattie's mind for bringing him excavation kits in the PICU. Mattie transformed his hospital room many a day, to dig for plastic dinosaur bones! Susan wrote, "OK I don't know the significance of this, but thought I'd pass it along...I was coming home today along GW Parkway and just as I got to Roosevelt Island what should come on the radio??? Dancing Queen by ABBA. I have to admit that Mattie wasn't foremost on my mind there. I was singing along when ZONK I realized why the song hit me (I remember dancing down the hall with Mattie during PT with this blaring on the radio) and then ZONK again...there's Roosevelt Island. I don't claim that Mattie sends me messages per se, but maybe he wanted you to hear from a different source about about him."

No comments: