Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 27, 2011

Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday, June 27, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2007. Mattie went for a drive on his uncle's (Peter's brother) boat. Mattie was holding his cousin, Sydney's hand, and he thought the whole experience was fun and exciting. The faster the boat went, and the wilder the ride, the happier he was. He loved waves and motion and I hated it. Those of us closest to Mattie, knew he was saving his pennies and money to buy his own boat in the future. He wasn't referring to a toy boat either, he was referring to a real boat, and his dream was to have one and to be the captain of it. Children have all sorts of goals and desires as they are growing up, and as a parent you try to encourage these aspirations. However, I never guessed that cancer would be the reason why such a dream would be unobtainable.

Quote of the day: The caterpillar dies so the butterfly could be born. And, yet, the caterpillar lives in the butterfly and they are but one. So, when I die, it will be that I have been transformed from the caterpillar of earth to the butterfly of the universe. ~  John Harricharan

I would like to believe, as this quote implies, that all the butterflies I see, embody a part of Mattie's spirit. That his energy and life have been transformed from the ashes that sit in my dining room, into a colorful, quick, and freeing creature. I see butterflies in our garden as well as in Ann's garden on a regular basis.

Today, I added a beautiful hummingbird feeder to our garden. This vibrant colored hand blown glass feeder was given to me by Maria. Maria heads up one of the administrative offices in our complex. She has known us for over 15 years and she was very fond of Mattie. Maria loves our garden and this winter she gave me this special gift to incorporate into our garden to attract hummingbirds. The irony is last summer we were visited several times by hummingbirds, but I had NO feeder to keep them coming back. Peter and I have lived in our home for over 15 years, and yet, until last summer, I have NEVER seen a hummingbird visit us. We live in the heart of the city, so to me this fact isn't surprising. What was surprising was our visit by these special creatures. My hope is this beautiful red glass feeder will catch lots of attention this year.

At the end of each day, Peter and I have dinner outside on our deck. Surrounded by plants and Mattie's fountains. For us it is a way to unwind and reconnect with each other. Patches, our cat, joins us each night and sits with us while we are eating dinner. In a way, she fills the void, since we are used to having three around our table, instead of two. By 7:30pm, each night we have a show of nature unfold on our deck. We have a family of slugs who live in our petunia boxes. At a certain hour they slither out and start climbing up our garden walls. Usually heading to another flower box. I am not sure why this sight intrigues us or makes us laugh. But it is like clock work each evening, and if Mattie were alive, he would be absolutely fascinated by these creatures. So I suppose in a way, they make us reflect on him, because prior to having Mattie, I know I certainly wouldn't have stopped for even a second to watch a bug or any crawling type creature. Mattie has taught me to pause and appreciate the small and even slimy things around me.  

No comments: