Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 23, 2012

Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday, March 23, 2012

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2003. Mattie was 11 months old and took his first plane trip to Los Angeles to visit my parents. That day we took Mattie to Huntington Gardens and I snapped a picture of Peter and Mattie, without them knowing it. Both of them were staring at different things, and I love how Mattie was intrigued by the bamboo and therefore reached out to touch it! Mattie was our little scientist and engineer, and was always fascinated by objects, how they worked, went together, and functioned. To me, Mattie was reaching out to analyze this bamboo and to make his own determinations.

Quote of the day: I've learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. ~ Martha Washington


My dad sent me tonight's quote, and I must admit I am not quite sure I totally agree with our Country's first lady. I certainly think that our attitudes and outlooks impact and directly affect our happiness, but I have also learned that some circumstances (which are out of our control) are hard to face, process, and accept. It would be very easy to hate the world, those around me, and want to check out on life. Yet I have not and don't. Maybe that is because of what Mrs. Washington refers to as one's disposition.

I have always been disposed to trying to please and make other people happy, in fact in grade school, those who knew me probably are not surprised that I became a mental health professional. While growing up, kids sought me out to talk about all kinds of things. Whether I knew it or not, I have been listening to people's problems, concerns, fears, and feelings all my life. So now that I have what I perceive as a life long crisis of my own, I find I revert back to my old ways of coping. Or my disposition. I may not be able to help myself, but I certainly can help others, and in so doing, it is therapeutic. Or at least it makes me feel needed and necessary. After losing Mattie, I find that I constantly struggle with my own identity and my need to nurture someone. After all I did this for seven years quite intensely. It is hard to go from that to nothing.

For the next week or so, I will be spending most evenings with Ann's mom, Mary. Tonight I went to Mary's care facility and I found her with her eyes wide open and waiting for a visitor. She was happy to see me and I brought her lotions and other goodies to perk up her room. Though Mary for the most part is almost completely mute, I have no trouble talking (one way) about various things with her. In our down times, I also read to her from the book I keep in her nightstand. It is my hope that this week, we can actually finish this short story. Mary is intrigued by the story because the main character shares her name. While I was reading to Mary, her roommate, was also paying attention. So in a way this is great stimulation for both of them. When their health aide walked in to check on them, the aide wanted to know if I was related to Mary because she was fascinated by my willingness to read and chat with both patients who suffer from various forms of dementia. I explained to the aide that I was only a friend, and that made her even more perplexed by my actions.

I believe that visiting Mary this week, ties in to what I was trying to express above. Mary is helpless and needs a caregiver, and I am a person who at times is directionless and needs someone to care for. So we are a perfect pair for each other. A pair of moms who both lost a son to cancer, and like my friend Toni (Brandon's mom) says all the time, cancer has a way of uniting and establishing friendships. This is most definitely true in the case of Mary.

No comments: