Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 21, 2012

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wednesday, March 21, 2012


Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2003. I LOVE this picture! We took Mattie to Great Falls that weekend and he was being transported by his favorite method. On Peter's back! You can see Mattie's happiness with being outside, in the fresh air, and being high up from the ground, and yet be able to look directly at me at eye level! What a fantastic smile!!!


Quote of the day: True success is overcoming the fear of being unsuccessful. ~ Paul Sweeney


Many people have asked me how I was able to accomplish the Symposium. After all, the Foundation does not have a staff. For the most part the direction and day to day labor is performed by me and Peter. That is not to say we don't have unbelievable volunteers, we do, and we know we are blessed. But the Symposium in many ways became my baby that I have been intensely cultivating and nurturing for months. It is hard to plan a conference in general, but the Symposium was designed to cater to multiple groups, not just mental health professionals, and with that the challenge magnified because I knew I needed to provide different things to stimulate and engage everyone. When I was a graduate assistant at the George Washington University, one of my many responsibilities was planning and hosting events for our department. Some were small, but some were actually huge. So I credit my graduate school work (work that paid for my doctoral degree!) and then my professional association work as beautiful groundwork for me to develop the Symposium. Mainly because designing and running a conference was NOT new to me. With that said, the content of this Symposium was FAR MORE personal and emotional for me than any other conference I had to plan, so naturally that came with its own feelings and challenges.

The Symposium had 85 attendees and Georgetown University Hospital was WELL represented from administrators, nurses, social workers, art therapy and Child Life. It is interesting I think how our hospital family continues to support us even when our main focus of attention, Mattie, is no longer with us. Frankly I think the conclusion which was drawn by the end of the 8 hour Symposium by attendees was that EMPATHY is a factor many families battling childhood cancer need expressed to them from ALL hospital staff. But this empathy is not only needed in treatment, it is needed through survivorship or grief. I am very fond of Carl Rogers' term, empathy, from a clinical standpoint, and what I appreciate about our Georgetown family is that they provide this to Peter and I without even knowing it. Sitting next to me throughout the day of the Symposium was Tricia (our Johnson and Johnson outstanding nurse finalist!), and in true Tricia style, she made sure I ate and checked in with me. Not unlike what she did with me in the Hospital.



I would like to share a few photos with you tonight. This picture was taken after Peter and I gave Rep. Mike McCaul (R-TX) an outstanding legislation award for his support and introduction of our legislation: HR 262 (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/ bill.xpd?bill=hr112-262)
and HR 3015 (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/ bill.xpd?bill=h112-3015). The woman featured in this picture is the Representative's wife.


Peter and I also gave Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) and outstanding legislation award. Rep. Van Hollen's office developed a relationship with us in 2010, and it has been cultivated ever since. We are grateful for Rep. Van Hollen introducing HR 262 and being a co-sponsor of HR 3015.

Peter and I also gave an outstanding legislation award to Senator Jack Reed (D-RI). Senator Reed introduced S. 1613
(http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s112-1613), legislation in which Mattie Miracle added psychosocial language.  



Our last outstanding legislation award during the Symposium was given to Rep. Jackie Speier (D-CA). I have had the opportunity to hear Rep. Speier speak before about childhood cancer, and the only thing I can say about her is she is captivating. She is an excellent public speaker who seems to have a true understanding for the issues children face when battling this horrific disease. Rep. Speier co-introduced HR 3015 in the House, which included Mattie Miracle's psychosocial language.


I would like to end tonight's posting with six messages I received today. The first message is from our friend, who is also an administrator at Georgetown University Hospital. Tim wrote, "My Dear Friends, There really are not words to express how extraordinary today was for me and, I am sure, for all those who attended. As I said to both of you...who would have made this remarkable initiative happen...if not you? Who could have gotten the collective intellect, concern, focus and dedicated voices in the same room - working toward the same goals...if not you? Who would have had the ambition to take on all of the work to make this symposium happen - to take on this challenge...if not you? I am in awe of your passion, your vision, your commitment, your courage and, as always, your love for Mattie. As I sat there today...sometimes with tears in my eyes...thinking of all that you did to make today happen, I am reminded what Margaret Mead once wrote, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Through your work and dedication to pediatric patients and their families who are on this terrifying journey, you will "change the world" that they experience - and you will change if for the better. Not just by providing high quality and useful psychosocial programs and initiatives...but by helping to establish a universal psychosocial standard of care for all patients and families. It is a lofty goal...but anyone who thinks it is not attainable, clearly hasn't met you. My thoughts and best wishes are with you both this evening. I hope you get some rest and sleep well (in spite of all that you are dealing with) knowing that you have and will continue to make a difference in the lives of so many. It is a privilege to know you and to call you my friends."

The second message is from one of our presenters. Lori is a psycho-oncologist who we have gotten to know, respect, and love as a person. Lori wrote, "I sure hope that you and Peter were able to get a great night sleep last night and feel really, really proud of what you have accomplished. The respect that was clearly shown from your peers to members of congress for all your hard work speaks volumes. There wasn't a detail that you did not think of. I felt honored to be a part of the day."

The third message is from my friend and colleague in Iowa. Susan wrote, "Wow, Vicki! I really don't know what to say, other than that I am SO proud to know such a strong and courageous woman, a person who will, no matter her own hurts and pains, will make SURE that the world will perhaps finally begin to start acknowledging and understanding the psychological aspects that accompany the horrible disease of cancer. I Just read your symposium greeting and it actually brought me to tears. Please know that you can count me in as part of your "physically distant" support group. Congrats to you and Peter for a job well done."

The fourth message is from my friend and Brandon's mom. Toni served on the parent panel during the Symposium. Toni wrote, "Today I went to Capitol Hill with the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation I sat on the parents panel. I am truly honored and humbled to call Vicki and Peter Brown a friend. This is a true labor of love for them and it shows. It's funny how something so devastating such as Childhood Cancer can bond you with someone. I'm truly honored to call them friends. Please check out this wonderful foundation or read the blog at mattiebear.blogspot.com."

The fifth message is from my friend and fellow parent advisory board member at the Hospital. Terri served on the parent panel during the Symposium. Terri wrote, "Today was a special day, not only the first day of spring, but that I was invited as one of the six parent panelists in the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Symposium encompassing leading psycho-oncology researchers and clinicians and members of Congress regarding the state of psychosocial care for childhood cancer patients and their families.  It was simply a powerful day, and I am truly honored that the founding members of the Mattie Miracle Foundation, Vicki and Peter Brown, extended the invitation for me to be a part of the first Childhood Cancer Psychosocial Symposium and Congressional Briefing on Capitol Hill."

The sixth message is from my friend, who also happens to be Karen's mom. This is a woman who has seen me grow up over the years, since she has known me since I was 12. Naomi wrote, "I told Karen I thought you did an amazing job-- putting together all those people from 12 different states in a program that was meaningful to all kinds of disciplines from legislators, doctors, researchers, clinicians and nurses to patients and their families. I said that it would take all 40 people in my office to do such a job -- and it took just you and Peter and a couple of extra hands. And it's very important stuff you are presenting. I am not easily impressed. But this undertaking is and was very impressive. So, Karen said, "E-mail Vicki and tell her yourself." So here I am. I've called you Wonder woman before, but now it's really apparent-- you actually are! And now, my dear girl, now you should take care of yourself. Now, it's your turn. Please."

No comments: