Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 11, 2013

Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday, January 11, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2007. One night we went for a walk to see the National Christmas Tree in front of the White House. It was an absolutely frigid evening and the big surprise for us was the wonderful yule log by the Tree. It was the most magnificent fire to feel in the bitter cold. Though Peter and I had lived in DC for many years before having Mattie, we never walked to see the National Tree. Peter and I experienced and saw many wonderful things when Mattie was in our lives. It was as if he was our excuse to go on an adventure! Seeing this photo takes me back in time to reflect on this lovely holiday memory.


Quote of the day: If there is one spot of sun spilling onto the floor, a cat will find it and soak it up. ~ J.A. McIntosh


Today was a busy day that began with my monthly licensure board meeting. During many of these meetings, my board is faced with making many challenging decisions. Decisions that can alter a professional's livelihood. Revoking a license or sanctioning a professional are not fun tasks. Which is why today was more of a feel good day. We were able to give a professional a second chance at obtaining her license, and as she left our board meeting, I told her we were giving her back control of her own destiny. So in essence she understood what I was telling her, which was study and pass your exam. Do not screw up this opportunity because it may not happen again.

Later in the day, I went to visit my friend Mary who lives in an assisted living facility. I haven't seen Mary for weeks. When I walked into Mary's room and she saw me, I received a huge smile. Though Mary was mostly mute, she did let me know that she feels I am special and was so happy to see me. I chatted with her about all sorts of things, you would be amazed at my skills at one way conversation. I read her hometown paper to her and then in front of her eyes I planted an amaryllis plant. Someone gave Mary an amaryllis bulb for Christmas and I thought I might as well plant it for her so she could experience the glory of this beautiful red flower. I know living in an institution is hard and any sign of life is so appreciated. Or at least this is how I felt when Mattie was battling cancer in the hospital.

One of Mary's aides came into the room this evening. I happen to like this aide. The aide came over to greet Mary and asked her if she was happy to see me. The funny part is Mary wouldn't take her eyes off of me to look at the aide. So the aide started joking around with Mary. She told Mary that she could understand why she chose not to look in her direction, after all Mary can see this aide everyday, but she can't see me everyday. It was the way the aide said this that made it truly funny. Mary got the subtly of what the aide was saying and started to smile and laugh. A priceless sight!

As for our Patches, she had a rough night. She was up a lot and also vomiting, so Peter and I feel like the walking wounded today. We are hoping tonight she has a better night. 

No comments: