Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 22, 2013

Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday, April 22, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2008. Mattie loved being outside on our deck and playing either in his sand box or getting soaked with our hose. Mattie would always tell me he wanted to go outside and water our plants, but the reality was he just loved getting wet. Which was why on this particular occasion he put on his rain coat. In the summer of 2008, before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer, he insisted on making me a special birthday gift. He and Peter worked on these gifts for weeks! These gifts were handcrafted fountains. I had no idea these fountains would be the last birthday gift I received from Mattie. Needless to say these fountains are special to us and they are one of the many Mattie features on our deck!


Quote of the day: Tragedy is like strong acid - it dissolves away all but the very gold of truth. ~ David Herbert Lawrence 


I read this quote over and over again today. I suppose it could be up for interpretation but to me what Lawrence is telling us is that through tragedy we see the reality of perhaps our world and the people within it. A reality that we may not have noticed or experienced without the tragedy. A rather sad commentary nonetheless that we would need such devastation in order to see the truth.

The explosions in Boston may have occurred last week, but to me they seem very fresh on my mind. I can picture what limbs flying off looked like and I can also picture the recovery and the psychological ramifications now faced by these victims. Mattie may not have had his limbs blown off, but from my perspective limb salvaging surgeries were gruesome and relearning to walk (which Mattie never did) was no easy process.

Just like in Boston, where we witnessed incredible strength among the city's citizens, heroic acts performed by everyday people and law enforcement, and of course a city united so that ultimately good would conquer evil! I saw a similar
nugget of "gold" uncovered within my own family's tragedy. When Mattie was diagnosed with cancer, an incredibly devoted support team formed. This team wasn't composed of one or two people, but MANY! From all of our communities (work, schools, and neighborhood). As we dealt with Mattie's care, this team dealt with everything else such as our food, errands, and all sorts of gifts. Multiple acts of kindness, compassion, generosity, and beauty unfolded. Things I would say I have never personally experienced and witnessed within my own life. Now three years later, the gifts on behalf of Mattie still keep coming in.


As most of my faithful readers know, in October the Foundation runs a post-Halloween candy drive in which several hundred pounds of left over candy are donated to Georgetown University Hospital. It is very easy in many ways to get candy donated to us, but I really wasn't sure what it would be like to get toiletries donated to the Foundation in honor of Mattie's 11th birthday. After all, many of these items have to be bought with the Foundation drive in mind, they aren't left over products (like Halloween candy). I had several friends help me with this drive and literally among all of us we covered Virginia, Maryland, and DC! However, I still have two more friends to meet up with to collect supplies, so there is no telling what the grand tally will look like in the end. But I am beyond impressed and would never have imagined such a collection could be generated!

This afternoon, I spent some time sorting through what has been collected so far (toothpaste, mouthwash, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, lip balm, soap, razors, shaving cream, laundry detergent, dryer sheets, nail files, and keurig cups for coffee and tea). As you can see Mattie's bed is filled with supplies for in-patient families caring for a child with a life threatening illness. This is our first year doing such a drive, but these items are SO needed because when your child is hospitalized it is hard to remember to pack all the things you need to survive. Your mind is just not on supplies! All of these items were donated to the Foundation in honor of Mattie's 11th birthday. I think that says something about the power of Mattie. He is no longer with us, but his memory inspires others to give, to remember, and to help other children and their families battling childhood cancer. I would say that I had a very special son. Though this is not the "gold of truth" revealed by this tragedy. That fact I already knew.

No comments: