Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 11, 2013

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 -- Mattie died 196 weeks ago today!


Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2007. Over Memorial Day weekend that year, we took Mattie to visit Lancaster, PA, in other words, Amish country. In one of the towns, we stopped at a store which sold jams and other local products. Outside the store, they featured this cute Holstein cow statute. Mattie knew I loved black and white cows, so we posed with the cow. I particularly loved how Mattie gave the cow an adorable hug, almost as if the cow could feel it! It seems to speak to his innocence!



Quote of the day: It's not what you say out of your mouth that determines your life, it's what you whisper to yourself that has the most power! ~ Robert T. Kiyosaki


Last night was quite an experience! For those of us who live in the Washington, DC region, you know we had terrible storms. Everything from torrential rains to lightning and thunder. In some parts of our area, there was even a tornado! In any case, Peter was scheduled to fly home from Boston, but instead he spent many hours camped out at Logan Airport because his flight had been grounded. Several flights had been cancelled due to our storms.

I insisted on picking Peter up at the airport last night, which isn't far from our home. I knew he had a long day of client meetings and then travel. Peter and I did not meet up until after 12:15am. I arrived at the airport around 11:25pm and hung out in the waiting zone. What stunned me was the TRAFFIC! I expected no one at the airport. Instead, there were 40 other cars waiting with me and the roads around the airport looked like rush hour. I suppose that is what happens when flights are delayed or cancelled. It was a zoo!  

After a weekend of chores at home, it was a lovely change to go out today and have lunch with my college roommate, Leslie. We chatted about all sorts of things, we got caught up, and even had cheesecake together. Things do look better over cheesecake!

Peter's mom and my friend Heidi sent me several different articles to read. Which I will elaborate on over the next couple of days! One of the articles Barbara (Peter's mom) sent me has to do with the battle between Dunkin' Donuts versus Starbucks. When I read the headline, I immediately started laughing, because the premise of the article was to measure and compare the exact number of Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks in many of the major cities of Massachusetts! My joke is that on almost every street corner in Boston you can find a Dunkin' Donuts! I have never seen such prevalence. It makes me laugh every time. But what was hysterical is that the Boston Globe reported this actual data confirming my hypothesis, which is that Dunkin' Donuts rules in Massachusetts. Some towns have as many as 19 different Dunkin' Donuts stores!!!

What the article does indicate besides the fact that coffee is the 'IN' thing now, it suggests that coffee is so popular because we all lead stressful and fast paced lives. The only thing that keeps us going throughout our work day is caffeine. Something to give us an "extra boost!" All I can say is WOW! What a social commentary, we work and live more frenetic lives and need to consume stimulants (though legal) to remain engaged! Wouldn't it be nice if people were going for coffee instead to unwind, socialize, and connect with people?! I am certain this maybe true for some people, but I imagine these folks are in the minority! Any case, after years of driving through Boston and counting Dunkin' Donuts, I am happy to have some real facts to pull from, facts that confirm to me that like the Boston Red Sox, Boston has another cult following.... Dunkin' Donuts fans. Test it out..... ask anyone you know from the Boston area about D&D, and I assure you, you will get a mouthful!

Coffee giants battling it out, From Quincy to Lowell, there’s a battle brewing for supremacy between Dunkin’ Donuts and Starbucks

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/regionals/north/2013/06/01/dunkin-donuts-and-starbucks-battle-out-for-coffee-supremacy-greater-boston/QK33ZCIAGcTNO04aVH6vJN/story.html

No comments: