Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 12, 2013

Friday, July 12, 2013

Friday, July 12, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. Standing next to Mattie, was his self designed creation, "Dr. Crazyhair!" In the background of this photo, sitting by the art table, is Brandon. Mattie's big buddy and close friend at the hospital. Peter took Mattie to clinic that day, so I did not get to see the creation and building of Dr. Crazyhair, but was shocked when this wooden fellow came into our home. Shocked because back then our home was already packed to the gills with other Mattie gifts, toys, and creations. Things came into our home at a fast pace when Mattie was sick and because we were never home, I was unable to organize and process them. We lived in total chaos for years! Ironically, Dr. Crazyhair, as big as he is, remains in Mattie's bedroom today. I am slowly getting to the point where I realize I want to take some photos of Dr. Crazyhair and then perhaps say good-bye to him. There are some key pieces in Mattie's room that I would prefer to feature and slowly as I address Mattie's room this will be possible.

Quote of the day: The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back. ~ Abigail Van Buren


Tonight's posting is short to non-existent. I have been suffering with a massive headache for three straight days now. As many of my faithful readers know, I have not had a headache free day since April 3, 2002 (the day before Mattie was born). Most days I can tolerate the pain and function right through it, however the past couple of days isn't one of these times. About 2% of the US population has daily chronic headaches like myself. We represent a small group and even more frustrating is that research shows that NOTHING really works for us from medicines to alternative treatments. So anyone who deals with chronic pain understands me when I say this is debilitating, you live with the fear of wondering when this lighten up, and you learn the art of patience. May tomorrow be a better day.

No comments: