Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 9, 2013

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 -- Mattie died 200 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009, about two months before Mattie died. I do not typically show close ups of Mattie's legs, but as you can see Mattie was emaciated. He really wasn't eating or drinking ANYTHING by this point. Some times I wondered how Mattie survived on a day to day basis. I am sure the IVs we gave him at home helped and whether we wanted to be or not, we became proficient in managing his day to day medical care. Every thing from broviac dressing changes (which were an absolute nightmare), pain med manageable, anti-emetic administration, the administration of oxygen, and the list went on and on! As you can see from this photo, Mattie was our helper! He was a very good painter and that summer, like many before that, he helped us paint the deck. Mattie was my kind of painter..... he paid attention to details and was neat!


Quote of the day: That was the thing. You never got used to it, the idea of someone being gone. Just when you think it's reconciled, accepted, someone points it out to you, and it just hits you all over again, that shocking. ~ Sarah Dessen


I began my day with zumba class. Today's class was the last one until later in August. For me, this is a great way to start the day. I love our teacher and she attracts a lovely group of women to the class. In a way it is therapeutic for me to jump around, hear music, and socialize with people. Funny how one thing can accomplish so much for me in one hour!!!

Later in the day, I went to get my hair cut. I have been going to the same hair stylist for YEARS. I have followed her around DC, until she opened up her own salon. Celina knew me before I had Mattie, then while I was pregnant, was a mom, and then of course throughout Mattie's ordeal. Each year, Celina's salon comes to the Foundation Walk and sets up a nail art table, and Celina's daughter today mentioned how they have ideas for expanding services for next year's Walk. Over the years I have gotten to know Celina, her sister, her husband, and her daughter. I am absolutely honored that they are moved by our cause and want to help Mattie Miracle. While chatting with Celina today, she asked me how I do all that I do and not become depressed myself? An excellent question! However, since she is a lot like me, she understood my response. The response is I am not good at taking care of myself, but I do find a level of satisfaction and purpose from helping others. It is through helping others that I find ultimately I am helping myself.

This evening, Peter and I are managing through the heat. Our complex lost air conditioning and I am hoping it returns soon. Somehow the heat has gotten to me tonight. I am meeting with my doctor tomorrow to finally go over the MRI results, a test I took weeks ago! Don't get me started on the state of the medical community. In so many ways it needs an overhaul and from my perspective it begins with medical training. Something goes very wrong from learning about the practice of medicine to the implementation of care. Doctors forget that patients are human, we have emotions and feelings, worries and fears! It gets tiring to have to constantly educate these folks, but if you are going to be my doctor, one should get ready for the lecture. Because tomorrow I assure you my doctor is getting one!!!!

No comments: